22: Grandparents

Usually when a royal family of another country came to visit Nala Kingdom, they would be greeted with a procession full of pomp and show. There would be rain of flowers on the visitors when they enter the capital and beautiful rangoli patterns lined on the roadway all the way to main Palace. Musicians played instruments once the guests stepped in the palace and then they were escorted to share food and drinks with His Majesty, King Nanda.

Since the people coming this time were not only a royal family of Kuru Kingdom but also the in-laws of King Nanda, there was even more splendor in their welcome. King Nanda himself arrived at the gates of the Palace to receive them. Devika and Gayatri were standing besides him. Devika had a blank face but her eyes held apprehension.

The procession got closer and closer. Devika held her Aunt's hand. She took deep breaths to calm down herself. 'In my previous life I have suffered multiple grievances. If I allow people to trample me in this life as well what would be the meaning to my rebirth? I have been the Queen of Gauda Kingdom. What haven't I seen? How can I allow a Queen of another kingdom to degrade me? If she persists in the same behaviour towards me, then even I don't have to give her any face. I am the Princess of Nala Kingdom, heiress to my Father's throne.' Devika thought to herself quietly. Unconsciously her back straightened and she let go of her Aunt's hand. Raising her chin infinitesimally she got ready to face another person of her past life.

Soon the procession halted, a servant hurried to place a stepping stool in front of a beautifully designed carriage. Her grandparents climbed out of the carriage. Her grandfather was wearing royal attire of Kuru Kingdom. Her grandmother was decked out in expensive dress and jewellery. They appeared grand however, it couldn't hide their advanced age.

"Father, Mother please come. We have been waiting for your arrival eagerly. We have made preparations for you to freshen up which will be followed by lunch." King Nanda said warmly.

"We are thankful for such a caring son in law." the King of Kuru Kingdom, Mahendra, said.

"Gayatri... My daughter..." the Queen, Vaishali, said. She walked forward sedately to give Gayatri a hug. After some small talk, everyone moved inside.

During the entire course of interaction, no one seemed to notice that the royal family of Kuru Kingdom had ignored Devika.

'This is how you want to play? Fine, then this granddaughter will accompany you in this game. If I didn't, wouldn't the world call me an unfilial child? May the best player win.' Devika thought.

Entering the palace, Devika went straight to her room and picked up a few books that she was supposed to study for antidote training. She placed them in her divine yantra. Going to the kitchen, she quickly grabbed some fruits and placed them in the yantra as well. She then moved to her Father's side. He was waiting in the receiving room for his in-laws.

"Father, I am feeling unwell. Is it okay if I skip the lunch?" she asked him making her tone as weak as possible.

"Eh? What happened to you little one?" King Nanda asked to her worried. "Let me quickly call the royal healers."

"No Father. There is no need to disturb the royal healers right now. I think it is simply fatigue. Afterall, we continuously travelled yesterday. I don't think I have rested enough. It wouldn't look good if I am listless in front of grandparents. Please apologise to them from my side." Devika said, her voice soft and slow.

"You don't worry about that. You go and rest. They are your grandparents. They will understand. Are you sure you don't need to see healers?" Nanda said, his voice still concerned.

"I am sure Father. But please let me know if grandparents get really angry, I will come down for lunch in that case." Devika replied.

"Okay, you go rest little one. I will send lunch to your room." Nanda said. Devika nodded and left for her room, her pace slow, to seem tired.

'You want to ignore me? Go ahead. See how much importance I give to your childish tactics.' Devika scoffed in her mind.

Once Devika reached her room, she called for Rewa and instructed her something quietly.

Lying down on bed, she quickly entered the mind chamber of the yantra. She started reading through the books assigned to her by Guruji. Now that she had this yantra, she had plenty of time to study all the things she ever wanted. She brought along with her an hourglass to keep track of time. Whenever she felt hungry she ate the fruits she had taken from the kitchen and continued reading.

She made an observation of various herbs and their characteristics. There were a few herbs that were lethal when directly ingested. A few herbs required special cooking before they could be turned into a poison. She spent a lot of time reading, almost half a day worth of time was spent with her nose in the book. Finally her head started to hurt and she placed the book down.

'This room requires some furniture.' she thought, 'A bed or a lounger. A desk and a chair. Some shelves. A book cabinet. A trunk. Some cutlery. I should have a few dresses stashed here as well. That way in case of an emergency I will have a change of clothes available. Maybe I can built a furnace and cook some poison or antidotes and store them here as well. Should I have a sword here? A weapon rack?'

Devika wanted to decorate the place a little to make it a bit comfortable. She started planning and mapping the arrangement in her mind. She suddenly felt a hand stroking her hair. She saw up but no one was there.

'It must be in the physical world that someone is stroking my hair.' she thought and opened her eyes a little.

"She must really be very tired. I followed her inside immediately, but she is so deeply in sleep." Gayatri's voice sounded in her ears.

"Yes, Your Highness. Should I get some food for Little Princess now or should I wait until she wakes?" Rewa asked Gayatri.

"It's best that we wait. I am going down to have lunch with my parents. You take care of her and let me know if something happens." Gayatri replied.

"Your Highness, it is not my place to say this but I have to ask. Will you really leave with them?" Rewa questioned.

"I don't know Rewa." Gayatri said with a sigh.

"Please try to stay here. Little Princess loves you and I don't think she will react very well to it." Rewa pleaded softly.

"I know. But it really is not in my hands, a girl's life is decided by her parents in the beginning and later by her husband. I have already rebelled once, I don't know if I will succeed a second time." Gayatri said her head bowed and her tone, soft.