38: The Consequences of Falling

Royce was making his bed, smoothing the sheets when his phone rang, ripping through the silence. He glanced at the screen from his spot. It was Nathan. He rushed to pick up the call. "Hey, what's up?"

"I'm outside your house," Nathan spoke softly, a pause in his breathing. "Come see me."

Royce froze, gazing at his window doubtfully. "Right now?"

"Don't take long." And he hung up. Royce's heart thudded as he stared at the black screen. He could tell something was up.

Royce was wearing decent clothes so he didn't feel the need to change but it'd be slightly cold so he shrugged on the same jacket Nathan gave him and put on a cap to hide the disaster that was currently his hair. He left his room as it is and hurriedly informed his parents about the situation before making his way out of the house.

Nathan was leaning against his car, arms crossed, and facing the opposite direction. Royce quietly shut the door behind him, his heart picking up its pace when Nathan noticed his presence, smiling. "Get inside."

He was being extremely vague today. Royce's eyebrows shot up suspiciously but he got into the passenger seat regardless. "Where are we going at this hour?"

"A long drive to nowhere," Nathan replied, his eyes quickly skimming over Royce's body and he smiled proudly. "I like the jacket."

Royce rolled his eyes suddenly feeling self-conscious. "That's because it's yours."

"Let me rephrase that." He began, starting the car and slowly emphasizing each word. "I like my jacket on you."

"Oh." Royce bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from smiling and secured his seatbelt. "It's slightly big but you know I prefer baggy clothes so I like it too. Can I keep it?"

"I gave it to you for that very reason."

Feeling content with Nathan's response, Royce snuggled in his seat and pulled his knees up to his chest. Resting his head against the window, his eyes followed the dark clouds blanketing the sky. A soft track was playing on the music system, filling the silence but setting the perfect mood. At some point, his eyes drifted close and he hummed with the flow of the song. He couldn't remember the last time he was so at peace.

Royce didn't know how many seconds, minutes, or hours passed between them but time seemed to be moving on its own rhythm. An itch on his face, warm fingers caressing his cheek. "Get up, Ray. It's almost time."

The car wasn't moving anymore.

"Sorry. I dozed off." Royce turned his head, slowly coming back to his senses and mumbled. "Time for what exactly?"

"Happy birthday, Ray."

Nathan had a tiny cake on his lap. On top of it was written ray in cursive with white cream. Royce jolted awake at the sight, realization finally dawning on him. "Oh shit." He had a surprising look on his face. "I completely forgot!"

"I know." Nathan chuckled lightly, the sound echoing in the dead silenced night.

"Where did you get the cake from?"

"It was in the backseat all this time."

Royce hesitantly took a peak, eyes flickering between the cake and Nathan's face. "You made it yourself?"

He nodded sincerely. "For you."

Royce didn't know whether to laugh or cry but the tears were certainly welling up in his eyes nonetheless. He blinked, trying to get rid of them because he wasn't one to cry easily. He was so caught up in the moment he could barely form a sentence.

"Sorry for stealing this birthday from your family." Nathan scratched his neck, somewhat embarrassed to admit. "But I really wanted to celebrate with you this time since I already missed so many in the past."

Royce raised one hand, rubbing his temple with the other. "I'm still trying to process the whole thing. I'm kind of blown away and in absolute awe."

"Really?" Nathan's eyes gleamed like a child.

"Yeah." He couldn't bother to keep his tough-guy act anymore and his features melted as he said. "Thank you."

Lighting up the candle, Nathan pushed the cake in his direction. "Make a wish and blow it."

Royce closed his eyes, making a quick wish, and blew the candle. Nathan recited the happy birthday song in the most horrible voice possible. He took the knife and instead of cutting alone, he wrapped his hand around Nathan's and they did it together.

The cake turned out as delicious as it looked and it didn't take long for Royce to finish all of it pretty much alone. They cleaned the mess afterwards and agreed it was time to go home but when Nathan twisted the key to start the engine, it made a weird noise. He frowned, attempting several times but it only got worse.

"What's wrong?"

"The car's not starting."