23: Grandparents II

"Where is your daughter?" Vaishali asked King Nanda. A frown was etched on her face. "Doesn't she know basic manners and etiquettes? Or are we not important enough for her to show basic courtesy?" she continued.

A silence fell over the dining room. None of the servants dared to move. Just a few minutes ago, there was happy atmosphere but as the lunch progressed and Devika didn't appear, the Queen finally lost her composure and said those words.

Nanda scowled at the way his Mother in law talked about his daughter. His daughter was the last thing his wife had given him, she was his reason to live and as such when someone was slandering her he couldn't just calmly bear it.

"Mother! Devika is not feeling well. We travelled continuously for past couple of days. She didn't want to disrespect you by showing up unwell. She is resting in her room." Gayatri exclaimed, she was upset with her words.

Nanda calmed himself when he saw Gayatri defending his Little Princess. However, he was displeased and the King of Kuru Kingdom, Mahendra noticed his displeasure.

"We will visit her after lunch to check up on her. We have got few gifts from Kuru Kingdom especially for her sake." Mahendra said to smooth things over.

Vaishali glanced at her husband in surprise. She hadn't got anything for this granddaughter of hers. It is bad enough that she was a granddaughter but her birth took the life of her daughter. She could never forgive Devika. It would have been better for her daughter if Devika had died during the birth. Malicious thoughts like these made themselves known to Vaishali as her husband was trying to smooth things out.

'Hmph! What is special in her? Why would I get something for her? It is already good enough that I have let her live. Now I am expected to show her kindness... Hmph!' Vaishali thought with hatred.

After lunch when the royal couple of Kuru Kingdom visited Devika. Nanda decided to accompany them to ensure that they don't say anything untoward to Devika. They visited Devika's parlor room which was used to receive guests. When the maids saw the royal couple visiting, they quickly informed Devika.

She sat in the parlor as they came. Nanda's heart ached to see her pale and tired face. There was a plate of fruits in front of her. A maid was standing behind her and gently moving the fan. Devika was reading a medical book. She smiled as everyone entered the room.

Though Devika was yet a child of seven years, she was already showing signs of becoming a beauty when she grows up. When she smiled gently she looked quite like a cute little angel. Her features were slightly similar to her mother and this fact gave pause to Queen Vaishali. The Queen felt as if she was looking at a younger version of her daughter. When they had entered the Palace, she was ignoring Devika and hence, didn't pay attention to how she looked. Now that she was intent to scold Devika, she had immediately glanced at her after stepping through the door. Hence some of her animosity had been erased.

"Princess Devika greets her elders." Devika said as she bowed to her grandparents.

"Get up, get up. You aren't well and you should be relaxing now." King Mahendra said to her. Vaishali just stood to a aide silently observing.

Devika stood straight and sat back on the chair. It didn't escape her notice how her grandfather had asked her to get up without blessing her. Usually when a younger generation person gave his or her bow to the older generation the older generation said a blessing before asking the younger generation to get up.

Even after this observation, Devika didn't get upset or angry. She calmly asked Rewa to get something from her bedroom. Rewa left and brought back two wooden boxes. Placing them on the table in front of Devika, she moved aside.

"Grandfather, Grandmother, this granddaughter was not able to meet you previously. It is the sad fate of this granddaughter that I was not able to enjoy the doting of my grandparents. I remember that Aunt Gayatri mentioned a few likes of yours. Hence, granddaughter has prepared these gifts for you. Hope that you will not disdain." Devika spoke humbly.

Nanda frowned, 'I had told Devika that her grandparents were going to visit just yesterday so when did she find time to prepare these gifts for them? Just what is in those boxes? Hope she didn't give them something too common. If she did, it will just make them angry.'

Vaishali was curious to find what was in the box and she opened it quickly. There was a beautiful saree of light peach colour that had block design on its border and a peacock design on its pallu. The designs were done in gold and silver threads. The allure of the saree was too much and Queen Vaishali couldn't resist picking up and gently stroking the design. "Beautiful." Vaishali commented.

Looking at his wife observing the gift so keenly, Mahendra opened the box meant for him. The box was divided into little sections for about two third size of it and there was a book in the remaining one third section. The little sections held myriad of dried herbs. As soon as the box was opened the scent of herbs was released in the room indicating that the herbs were of a good quality. It was known to very few people that King Mahendra was interested in herbology. It was another matter that he didn't get to dabble much in that due to his duties. He was very pleased with the gift.

Looking at Gayatri he said, "You remember that Father is interested in herbology? I am very pleased with the gift dear daughter. Thank you."

"Yes, yes Gayatri you also remember Mother's favourite colour. It is a beautiful saree. Thank you so much." Vaishali said.

If King Nanda was upset before, he was angry now. Obviously Devika had prepared the gifts for them and yet they continued to ignore her. He looked at Devika, her head was down. He thought that she must be upset because of the actions of her grandparents. His anger grew by a notch.

Before he could say anything, Gayatri said in a wry tone, "Actually Mother I had prepared a yellow coloured saree for you. I had forgotten that peach is your favourite colour. Father, I didn't even know that you liked herbology until today. These gifts were prepared by Little Princess herself and bear no relations with me."

With these words, Mahendra and Vaishali were forced to face Devika again. They just ignored her in the face and now they had to display their gratitude.

"Um.. Thank you, Princess." Mahendra quickly said.

"Yes, Thank you." Vaishali intoned as well.

"We are quite tired ourselves after the journey here. We will rest now and meet you all later. It is also better for Princess Devika to rest as she is unwell." King Mahendra said to Nanda and left the room, his wife following after him.

King Nanda was upset and looked at Devika. Gayatri had quickly moved next to her and was stroking her hair lightly and murmuring comforting words. Devika didn't look up at all and her shoulders appeared to be trembling a little. It seemed that she was crying and hiding it from them.

"Little Princess, do not worry about them. For the rest of their stay, I will ensure that they do not disturb you or even go near you. You rest now little one." King Nanda promised his daughter and left to go towards the training field to work off his anger.