Chapter Nineteen

Best friends are the people you can do anything and nothing with and still have the best time. - Unknown

As I walked up the step of Jon's house, my mind kept reverting to the conversation I'd overheard between the two officers.

I couldn't wait to tell Jon what I'd heard.

Knocking on the door, I soon came face to face with Esmeralda, the family housekeeper.

Esmeralda has been working for the Reeves' for as long as I can remember. She started out as Jon's nanny, but Jon grew so attached to her, when he no longer needed a nanny, he requested they keep her around, so they made her their housekeeper.

As his nanny, she practically raised Jon. His parents were always busy with their real estate business.

"Ms. Harley. How nice to see you," she greeted.

"Hello Ms. Esmeralda. Nice to see you too. I came by to see Jon. To check on how he's doing."

She opened the door and allowed me to step inside.

"He's been waiting to see you all day. If he wasn't sleeping, he couldn't stop looking at the time."

I chuckled. "I'm sure." I pointed to the grand two sided staircase. "Is he in his room?"

She nodded. "Mhmm. I don't believe he is asleep. You know where it is. It can't have been that long."

I nodded before abiding her goodbye and allowing her to get back to her work, heading upstairs.

As I reached the top of the staircase, I looked to my left, where I knew his room was located.

The mahogany walls appeared freshly polished and held numerous landscape paintings. I could faintly feel the plushness of the furry crimson carpet beneath my feet.

His door was open and I could see Jon lying propped against his headboard, reading a book.

Upon closer inspection, it was a book about the Black Dahlia murder that I'd lent him a few weeks ago.

"Ahh. How's my favourite little Hufflepuff? You finally got around to reading it, I see," I said, causing him to look up and smile.

"I'm good my second favourite Ravenclaw."

"Second favourite? Whose your first?"

"After Luna of course." I picked up a pillow and began playfully whacking him with it. "I'm kidding. I'm kidding. You're really going to attack me when I'm sick?"

I halted my assault, pretending to contemplate before whacking him one final time. "Yes I will." I saw him pout his lips. "Okay, fine you big sick baby. All is forgiven." I leaned down to give him a hug, when he whacked me with the pillow I'd just let go of, before quickly wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into a hug,both of us now lying down.

"Good. Uh, yeah. I figured since we missed the episode for our crime marathon, I'd read a book a really awesome girl gave me."

I snorted, quickly covering my mouth, causing him to descend into laughter.

"Shut up," I joked. "Your laugh isn't that cute either."

Of course I was lying. His laugh is another one of my favourite things about him.

I just love watching his eyes light up and his dimples come out.

He smirked at me, trying to contain his laughter.

I rolled my eyes, as it was evident he knew I was lying.

He let hgo.of me and scooted over, allowing me to lay down beside him, cuddling into his chest, feeling his heart beating.