Chapter 48

Kate's Pov

I headed to my apartment to find Candice sitting on the couch as she gave me a weird stare.

"Yo" I say as I join her.

"Kate. I'm sorry about how I acted last night" She says to me.

"It's fine, stuff happens" I smile.

"How's Jane?" She asks.

"She's good" I say.

"Y'all broke up?" She asks.

"How did you know that?" I ask.

"It's written all over your face" She says as she hugs me.

"I'll be fine" I say as I hug her.

"Well, let's watch a movie?" She says.

"Okay. I'll make some popcorn" I say as I head to the kitchen. My phone then chimed as I pick it up.

~Message from unknown: RIP Kate x Jane. Looks like I can get my chance now.

~Reply: There you go wasting a thought again...

~Message from unknown: My thoughts are never wasted. You're the only thing on my mind Kate.

~Reply: You need a new hobby. Goodbye.

~Message from unknown: Let's see how long you can play hard to get.

The night was shorter than I thought it would be. Candice and I watched a couple of movies until she fell asleep on the couch as I lift her and take her to bed.

I then headed to my room. I decided to take a shower. As the cold water rushed onto my body I sigh. This situation has turned so complicated so fast. Sometime taking the easy way out isn't easy. Maybe it makes you weak. I change my clothes as I sit in bed with my phone in hand as I curl up with my hands on my knees.

10:00PM turned into 1AM.

I'm sitting eyes wide open behind these four walls hoping you'd call. Just a cruel existence like there's no point hoping at all. I grab a pen and paper as I write to my hearts content. Before I knew it I fell asleep with the paper crumbled up in my hands.

I wake up the next day as my alarm blared. Oh crap. It's time for work. How the hell could I face them... after what happened yesterday. What do I even say about that? Do I risk my job because of that or do I go in head strong, I never been one to give up but I'm a walking contraction aren't I?

It was about 10AM as I arrived at the workplace. I then see Josh waiting for me in the lobby as he greeted me.

"I'm fired aren't I?" I say to him as I gulped.

"No Kate" He says.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, I can't believe that happened" I say as I sigh.

"Leo wants to see you in his office" Says Josh as he leads me to the elevator. I followed him to the elevator as we head up to Leo's floor. Gosh I'm in big trouble.

I enter the office as I see Leo and Adelyn already there as Josh closed the door.

"So your girlfriend is into BDSM?" Says Adelyn.

"You have no filter do you?" Says Leo.

"What I'm curious" Says Adelyn.

"Kate, Jane explained everything to us" Says Leo.

"So my job is safe?" I ask.

"Yes. Anna was unstable. You don't have to explain nor say anything" Says Leo.

"I spent the morning trying to figure out what to say" I say as I gulp.

"It's okay Kate. We're not mad, must've been tough. Are you okay?" Says Adelyn.

"Yeah I'm fine" I smile.

"How's Jane?" Asks Josh.

"We broke up" I say.

"Maybe it's for the best" Says Leo.

"Oh my god Leo" Says Josh as he gave Leo the WTF stare.

"Oh.. I'm sorry" Says Leo.

"It's fine" I say.

"Well Ms. Assistant, meet me down in my office. You have my itinerary to redo" Says Adelyn as she exits the office.

"Oh right. From today you're Adelyn's assistant" Sighs Josh.

"Don't worry I'll be careful" I say as Josh led me to the elevator.

"Good" He says.

I head down to sales department as Adelyn waited with some papers in hand.

"Took you long enough. I need this reorganised" She says.

"Will do" I say.

"Take your time. I'll need it done by tomorrow" She teased as she departs to her office.

I sat there as I reorganised her itinerary. Took a while but I finally got it done. I took it to her office as I handed it to her as she picked it up and read it.

"Do it again, keep the time lapse in mind. It's a weekly itinerary, this won't work. You can reschedule some stuff for next week too" She says as she hands me the paper back.

I re did it again. Learning and experience is key. A lesson learned is the greatest victory.

"Nope. Again" She says as she returned the paper. She had an amused look on her face as she handed it back to me. I guess it was frustrating but I won't give up.

About 3 hours had passed, Adelyn left the office and returned with two coffee in hand. She rest it on my desk as she headed back into her office.

I re did and took it to her again but she denied them all, until about 5 hours later.

"Good. Very good" She says as I blew a sigh of relief.

"Thanks" I say.

"Do you want a cookie now?" She says.

"Yes actually" I say to her countering her wit.

"Are you hungry? I'm gonna order some Chinese" She says.

"Sure" I say as she grab her phone.

"I have an editors meeting in the morning, we're looking for our next big thing. Join me, you'll get an idea of what these meetings are like" She says as she dials a number.

"Sure that would be great" I say.

"Good, now there's some stuff I'd like you to schedule for me" She says as she hands me a piece of paper.

"Will do" I say as I exit her office.

"What do you want?" She asks.

"Huh?" I ask.

"To eat" She laughs.

"Wontons" I say.

"Wontons it is" She says as I exit the office.

Adelyn... looks like you're human after all...

I sit down at my desk as my phone rang.

~Jane Connor calling~

I pushed it back into my pocket as I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I couldn't answer. Deep down I wanted you to call and I'm weak enough to answer but right now I have to be strong.