36. Family in Friends

~song of the day~
  We R Who We R - Kesha

Sheila stares at me before dragging her eyes to Gray, who was seated next to me

Sheila stares at me before dragging her eyes to Gray, who was seated next to me. She opens her mouth to say something, but no words come out.

My dad is standing behind her, folding his arms like a bodyguard. "Did you guys...sleep together?" Sheila finally asks, pointing an accusing finger at both of us.

"Sleep together- how?" Gray narrows his eyes and purses his lips.

Sheila folds her arms and crosses her legs, a bleak expression on her face. Her attention is drawn to my wrist, and she snaps her brows in confusion.

"What happened to your wrist?" She asks with a frown. Her question draws my dad's attention, and he gives me a quizzical look.

"Nothing, " I shake my head and tuck my hand behind my back.

Dad tilts his head and furrows his brows. "Lose the bandage, Dove, " He commands.

"Why does she have a bandage on her wrists, " Shelia asks Gray.

"She does?" Gray asks with a raised brow. He leans back to stare at my hands and shake his head at his mother. "Didn't notice."

Sheila sighs and rubs her temple. "Are you two dating?"

"Yes."

"No."

Gray glances at me before he lowers his gaze to the ground. "I guess not, " he mutters. "But I really like her, " He raises his head to stare at his mother.

"I thought you said it was just a fling, " Dad directs his question at me.

Gray tilts his head to me, and I could see the hurt flash through his eyes. I instantly grab his hand and intertwine it with mine before returning my gaze to my dad.

"I lied. I really like him too, " I announce. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Gray's lips curl up into a smile.

"Wait. Wait. Wait, " Shelia raises her hands, tilting her head to stare at my dad. "You knew?"

At that moment, Chloe and Harry burst into the living room, carrying some bags. "Do you need help, baby? " Dad gasp, running to help Chloe with her baggage, hence avoiding Shelia's question.

"Mum, I was going to tell you after I ask her out officially, " Gray says, his grip on my hands tightening.

Sheila sighs and bites her lips, her eyes darting between our faces and entwined hands. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" She says to Gray, gesturing towards the stairs with a nod as she gets up.

My heart drops at the thought of Shelia's refusal of our relationship. Gray pats my hand gently and gives me a small smile.

"I'll be back, " he whispers in my ear and walks away with his mum.