Chapter Thirty-Three: Lion or Ninja

By the time we got everything we needed, and were unloading the supplies at the edge of the woods, it was morning again.

"Well, Well, Well, look who it is." Dustin said into his headset while Steve and I kept unloading the stuff. "Well, while you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon. I'll explain later, just meet me, Riley, and Steve at the junk yard and bring your binoculars and wrist rocket."

"Alright," Steve said, shutting the trunk, "Let's go."

"Just be there, stat. Over and out." We each grabbed a bucket, now all carrying backpacks with more supplies in them as we started our trek into the woods towards the train tracks, dropping meat on the ground as we went.

~~~

By the time we got to the train track, Dustin had filled Steve and I in on the entire story. I led the way, while Dustin followed me, and Steve brought up the back.

"So let me get this straight. You kept something you knew was probably dangerous, in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?"

"Alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things." Dustin said.

"Sounds right to me." I called over my shoulder.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve questioned.

"An interdimensional slug? Because its awesome."

"Tell that to your cat." I said.

"Well even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I...I just...I don't know, I just feel like you're trying way too hard, man."

"Well not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?" Dustin shot back.

"Its not about the hair man. The key with girls is just...just acting like you don't care." I furrowed my eyebrows, turning back to look at him.

"Even if you do?"

"What?" I asked. "What nonsense are you teaching him HAIRington?"

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." I shook my head, scoffing and facing forward again.

"Then what?"

"You just wait until uh...until you feel it."

"Feel what?" Dusting asked.

"Its like before its gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this uh...electricity, you know?"

"Oh, like the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-"

"No, no, no, no, no. Like a...like a sexual electricity." I felt his eyes on me and I shook my head, rolling my eyes at him, regardless of the fact that he couldn't see it. "You feel that, and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?"

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down Romeo."

"Sorry." Dustin said dejectedly.

"Sure, ok, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know? Strong, hot and heavy, like a...like a lion. But others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a...like a Ninja."

"What type is Nancy?" I bit my lip.

"Nancy's different. She's different than the other girls." I raised my eyebrows, suddenly feeling like a complete moron. I knew he was still in love with Nancy, so why did I let myself believe, even subconsciously that he would actually like me? Am I like the other girls? The kind that need a strategy? I began to walk a little faster to get some distance from them.