xxi. First and Last Time

WHEN I arrived at the Hospital Wing that morning, Draco was nowhere to be seen.

"He's just been released earlier this morning, dear," Madam Pomfrey had hollered from her office after seeing my dumbfounded state staring at his empty bed. "I thought you'd be the first person he'd go to."

"Yeah," I murmured to myself, "I thought so too."

Giving one last glance at the bed where he slept on for the past few days, I bid my goodbye to Madam Pomfrey and left the Hospital Wing without looking for a him.

That was two weeks ago, and since then it was like nothing had changed. Things were back to the way they were before I found him bleeding out in the boy's bathroom; us not talking, him not attending classes, and me trying my absolute best to forget about everything.

As the days go by, it slowly started to work. I guess I accepted it already — the fact that I lost such a great friendship with him. Then again, some people did say things don't work out the way you plan. Maybe this was just one of those times. It was a real shame, but I appreciated the moments we had together all the same.

Though, a small part of me still hoped that perhaps one day, I'd get that friendship back.

I smiled at the thought, pausing from reading my book to let myself feel the nostalgia of those nights so many months ago.

"No way, that was supposed to work!" Ernie suddenly exclaimed, turning my attention to his and Ruby's third chess game.

"Ernie," she said exasperated, "I already told you that the Knight only moves in a certain way, what else did you expect? Now, where's my chocolate frog?"

"This is the third box you've taken from me!"

"Not my fault you suck arse at chess. Maybe if I win again I'll let you give me a kiss."

"But you always win?"

"Exactly," she said triumphantly.

Then again, nights like these weren't so bad after all, even if it meant hearing them bicker back and forth or act all lovey-dovey. Either way, I didn't mind.

I thought that my night was going to be a peaceful one — I couldn't be more wrong. Because from what I learned living in the Wizarding World, you can't have nice things.

The proof for that came in the form of a second-year boy who barreled inside the common room in a frenzy. He collapsed in the middle of the common room, panting heavily and clutching his chest, and stunning everyone within the vicinity. He probably ran all the way here.

"Outside. . ." he gasped, "his. . .mark. . ."

Setting my book aside, I looked to Ruby and Ernie who both mirrored my puzzled expression.

"Speak up, mate, we can't hear you," one of his friends said.

"The Dark Mark. . ." he said shakily, after having caught his breath. "It's outside. . .right over the school."

There was a deafening roar of silence as everyone looked at one another in the common room. No one yelled or gasped, hell, I don't think anyone even let out a breath.