ONE

There was dawn after death

Last night was cruel. It revealed my fate and then twisted it. What a fucking game the universe was playing with me.

But now it was morning. Bright, cheery, warm—just like the girl that I loved.

Madie stood at the end of the kitchen table, facing the enormous windows. And beyond the glassy panes was nothing but...blue. The ocean called to her; I knew it did. A robe was wrapped tightly around Madie, that silky white fabric making her long, tangled hair look extra fiery this morning. It also hugged her curves—those curves that I'd grown obsessed with.

I tried not to make a sound as I stepped down the bottom set of stairs. She just looked so angelic, so perfect, that I didn't want to disrupt the scene. Her shoulders rose and fell as she took a deep breath and then set a mug on the table.

I felt that breath, an exhale of her past that she'd finally escaped.

And I'd escaped death. Now I just had to find a way to keep on living.

Leaning against the wall, I kept watching her, unable to look away. My shoulder twinged at the impact, but I ignored it. Madie was going to bug me about getting it looked at today. I knew she would. But she forgot that I didn't have any health insurance. And I didn't have the money to pay for the outrageous bills that would come from just a few stitches.

Most college kids leeched off their parents' insurance until they got a job with benefits. Most college kids had parents—parents that weren't dead or a murderer on the run.

I'd just have Caroline take a look at the gouge that the bullet left when we got to Fresno. She'd know what to do. Maybe she could patch it up for me.

Madie sighed again, drawing my attention back to her beautiful form. And then she surprised me. Her robe loosened, the fabric sliding down her back and her arms. It slipped from beneath her hair, and my jaw went slack as the robe fell to the floor completely. It pooled around Madie's bare feet.

She was naked in the kitchen, her arms rising above her head as she stretched out languidly.

I tried not to simply look at her ass, but it was pretty damn hard. I was growing pretty damn hard. How? How did she make me feel this way after I'd spent the entire night inside her?

My feet started moving. I couldn't resist the pull of bare skin that needed my hands on it.

Madie's arms fell to the side, and her head tilted. She peeked over her shoulder at me, one twinkling blue eye catching mine.

"I'm having a moment," she said softly.

Chuckling, I wound my arms around her waist. The warmth of her skin instantly reached inside me, filling me with her heat. I found her neck, kissing it, mumbling into it. "I can see that."