Chapter Twenty-Two

"We about to whoop these bitches ass tonight!" Namiko shouted getting the girls hyped inside of the locker room, except for Ember. She sat on the bench, putting on her kneepads in silence. Namiko sat beside her friend and sighed, "We got to get our head in the game. You can cry about Adonis later."

"You are really not funny, Namiko." Ember slammed her locker shut, and walked away, leaving Namiko sitting on the bench. It had been four days since Ember had talked to Adonis, and all she had been doing was moping around. It was starting to get on Namiko's nerves.

"Ember." Namiko sped walked to catch up to her, "I know that Adonis is your first boyfriend and all but you don't have to be stressed about him because it's so many others out here that would love to have you." Namiko continued.

Ember didn't say anything as she continued on to the volleyball court, sitting on the floor in her spot to stretch. This was their first volleyball game and she had to admit that she was nervous. Practice had been going great, but the real game, she felt as if she may fail her team. Since coach Valdez loved her game plays during practice, she gave Ember the setter position. It was like being the quarterback on the football team.

Looking around in the overcrowded stands, her eyes landed on her parents and Justin who were sitting in the top right corner. She didn't think they would really show. X had always doubted her, but Ember knew that he was just pissed about her not following his house rules properly.

Ember really could not wait until graduation, but unfortunately that was eight whole months away. She climbed to her feet, taking a deep breath, "You got this, Em." She tells herself, refusing to let her team down.

Before the match started, Ember and the other setter were called to the net. They each listened to the referee give the rules before he flipped the coin.

"Heads or tails?" He asked.

"Heads." Ember quickly answered.

The other girl just popped her gum while she side eyed Ember. The coin fell on heads.

"Serve." Ember says.

Their best server, Hanan, caught the ball. After they were back in position, the game started. Ember watched as the ball soared across the net to their opponents. Not long after, the ball came flying back towards Ember who successfully hit it back over. She became focused. Back and forth, back and forth. The ball had not landed on the floor yet. Everyone in the stands had become quiet, except for a few who were rooting for certain teams.

The ball flew past Ember, on the ground close to Namiko who had not been paying attention. After all of that hard playing, Namiko was the one to fuck up and nothing annoyed Ember and the other teammates more. Ember felt as though she would be the one to mess up,  but she wasn't.

"What the hell, Namiko?" Gia, another teammate asked.

"Girl shut the hell up." Namiko shot back.

"Girls!" The couch said warning them to calm their tempers. It seemed as if all of them got triggered quickly, "Moody teenagers." She mumbled.

The points went to the other team, before they started back up again. They couldn't lose on their own court. That would be embarrassing. As the game went on, points went up and Ember's team was in the lead. They needed one more point and they would win. People were constantly cheering them on.

One last hit, Ember sent the ball flying over the net, watching the other players dive for the ball, but it hit the floor. Her whole team started screaming, hugging, jumping up and down, celebrating their first win.

"We are undefeated!" Hanan shouted while people cheered for them.

Although Ember had been in a bad mood, winning the game and working as a team seemed to make her feel better. Back in the locker room, she started to get dressed in her original clothing.