Prologue

Zoey

It was all a lie... everything my parents had told me about being mates was a lie. For the first few hours, I believed that everything would be blissful. But the moment my so-called mate shut the bedroom door—leaving me out in the hall—my hope for a dreamy future turned into a nightmare. I couldn't sleep that night from the pain of my mate being with someone else. If only it was one night...

Karina

Luna Karina stood on the front steps of her house, lips pressed tightly together to hold back the protests on her tongue. If she opened her mouth, she would say something that couldn't be taken back.

Her miracle son—now 18—trotted down the driveway with a military pack on his back. When she'd named him Donovan, she never imagined her "strong fighter" would choose to protect the world by training for the military. On his 18th birthday, Donovan had seemed relieve that his mate hadn't been found. The next day, he announced that he didn't want to be the next alpha and took off for Basic Training.

Lucas had surprised her, agreeing to think about what it meant to release an heir from his hereditary responsibilities. A future alpha never turned down the role, so there were a lot of details to work through.

Fast forward a few months, and they'd figured it out. The supernatural alpha link was now tied to her younger son, and her older son was running headlong towards danger. Every motherly instinct urged her to scream for him to come back, to forbid him from getting in the truck that waited at the end of the driveway. If anything happened to him, she would have some serious questions for the moon goddess. She'd lost her first baby as a "consequence" of banishing a guardian back to its dimension, and she'd lost a second baby a few years after Donovan. If she lost either of her two sons now, it would be a loss with no cause...and that would end her.

She sucked in a shaky breath as Donovan turned around and waved, his face lit with innocent excitement. She waved back, willing herself not to cry. Donovan beamed at her before climbing into the truck and out of sight. The truck rumbled off to take another child away from their mother. Twelve new recruits would fill the back of the truck when it headed to the military base. Twelve young lives about to be molded into masterminds of espionage and warfare.

Karina looked up at the sky, knowing the moon was up there.

"Protect my son," she whispered. "Let him live as this family's legacy."