f o r t y

"Elijah Knight, for the last time, stop eating all the ingredients!"

Aurora grumbled as she slapped away the sneaky hand trying to steal a piece of charbroiled pork off of her plate of ingredients. Elijah pouted, looking at Aurora like a child getting scolded for leaving all of his toys out.

Aurora sighed, feeling the need to give into his puppy dog face. "Fine." With her clear plastic gloves that were too big for her hands, she fed him a piece. A happy smile immediately broke out on his face as he munched away. "Last one— or else I won't have enough to make my spring rolls."

Still chewing, he nodded with content. He knew Aurora couldn't resist his puppy dog face— I mean, who could? Thankfully, Aurora had prepared more ingredients— knowing something like this was bound to happen.

It had been a month since Megan's graduation and since it was the summer, weekend family barbecues were inevitable. Today was the first time they were hosting it at their house and Aurora couldn't help but feel the excitement as everyone began to arrive. Most of the Knights were already there to help prepare the food. Even her parents and Connor were going to be there and it'll the first time their families were officially meeting.

Aurora had decided to make Vietnamese spring rolls— seeing as it was one of the only dishes she could make without burning the kitchen down. It seemed easy to make— she had her iPad out in front of her to show her how to make it step by step. And thankfully, she had some help chopping up the ingredients.

It was funny because as soon as she held the knife in her hand, a chorus of "wait a minute, Aurora,", "let me do that for you, sweetheart", and "no"s rang out in the kitchen. It was obvious who said the second one.

Apparently, word spread within the Knights that she was rather clumsy in the kitchen— no thanks to Xavier, so even with the directions written out in front of her, they were all still worried.

After getting over the hurdle of chopping up the ingredients, the next hurdle was to stop the Knight brothers from eating all of the ingredients. Even now, because Elijah had a bite, Damien had to have one too— or else it would be, "unfair". How old were they— 8?

Damien walked up to them with an identical pout on his face. "What about me?"

"I swear you Knights are such a handful," she muttered, reaching up to feed him as well.

"But you love us," Elijah cheekily replied. He must've had amazing timing because right at that moment, Xavier walked in with a scowl on his face. He placed the deliciously grilled steaks that had been cooking in the grill onto the cutting board to cool so they were ready to be sliced.

"The only one she should be loving is me," Xavier grumpily muttered. He walked over to where Aurora was sitting at the breakfast car and placed an arm on the back of her stool possessively. Leaning down, he placed a small kiss on her forehead before opening his mouth, so that she could feed him.

Aurora rolled her eyes but gave in immediately. "Last one." She gave the three a stern look, repeating the same two words again for the nth time. "Now, go away, so I can actually begin."

Of course, no one listened and stayed rooted to their spots. Sighing dramatically, she began anyways, ignoring their lingering stares. How exactly did they expect her to work with their stares on her? All it did was give her even more pressure.

Dipping a sheet of rice paper into the warm water, she let it soak for around 10 seconds as the paper became soft and bendable. She placed the now slippery rice paper onto her plastic mat and lay a piece of lettuce towards the bottom. She topped it with cucumber and thinly sliced carrots. Next, she added the charbroiled pork and some of the vermicelli noodles. A bit of basil, mint, and cilantro are added and then, three pieces of shrimp at the top.