A Hole in the Wall

"Are they black and white?" Seth asked warily.

"Well..." She hesitated. Most of them were black and white. Renee and Sinclair's movies were all from the 1920s and 1930s, but, of course. "Night at Holiday Hall isn't! I'll go get it." Beatrice's movie was made in the 1950s and in what they called technicolor according to the credits at the beginning of the movie. Isabella was certainly no expert when it came to movies, but she knew this particular film inside and out. 

"But isn't that your aunt's movie?" asked Micah. "I thought this was about your great grandparents' legacy."

Isabella frowned this was true.  Legacy was important to her for some reason. She wasn't sure why. Maybe it was in her DNA.

"Well, technically, your whole family is their legacy, right?" offered Seth. "So, we could take a look at it. I guess."

"But that's not what the show is about," Micah argued.

"Maybe Micah's right. I really love that movie though."

Seth shrugged. "I think we should at least look at it, Micah. It could be good."

"Since when do you like movies at all?"

"I'm just trying to get us to do something, so I can play my bass."

"Fine, do what you want. No one listens to me anyway," said Micah.

Isabella glared at the two of them. Seth had all of the tact of a moose at a tea party. She shivered at the realization that she could related. And Micah was irritatingly right, but what was the point of living if you couldn't turn the rules upside down sometimes? 

"I'll go find it," said Isabella finally. "Sorry, Micah."

Before she could take another step an exuberant voice filled the theater. "Things are progressing nicely, I see!" Perfect. Theophilus was back. He sailed into the room wearing the same cloak, but this time there was a button pinned on it. It was something she'd seen before on his clothing, but he hadn't been wearing it for two days. Had he gone to retrieve it? Why now? "I think you can take your leave, as it were. Rest up and, oh, I hear there is a party this afternoon. Go be children!"

"But we were about to watch a movie," said Isabella.

"Oh, well, I can't stop you from doing that, but you can't watch it here."

"Why not?" Isabella asked at the same time Seth asked--

"What party?"

Isabella sighed. "Johnna Johnson's."

"Who's that?" asked Micah.

"Someone who thinks she's very important."

"But isn't?" asked Seth.

Isabella smiled. He was kinda funny when he wanted to be.

Before Isabella could reply, Seth turned to his brother and said rather obnoxiously, "Guess we're not in the popular crowd yet." He seemed to find the idea of such a thing ridiculous. Of all the self-important jerks.

"Don't worry," Isabella snapped. "I'm not going either."

"Hmm." Theophilus thoughtfully tapped the dimple in his chin.

Isabella narrowed her eyes at her instructor. "Why are you looking at me like that, Theophilus? You know something, don't you?"

"Ha! I know a great many things, my young friend."

Isabella slapped her fist onto her leg. "Ouch." She hadn't meant to hit that hard.

"You all right, my dear?"