CHAPTER 20.2

“Hey, Celes. I’ve got a question.”

His brows automatically shot up in question. We were both having tea in the balcony of my room. The night was a bit cold but I couldn’t sleep so I asked him to accompany me.

“Do you think my little sister's doing well?” I asked.

I saw him still for a moment. He probably didn’t think I’d bring it up from out of the blue. The talk I had with Selene earlier just made me think about her. I wonder if she’s getting bullied too or if she has someone to talk to now that I wasn’t around.

Celes cleared his throat and answered, “Do you wish to see her?”

I shook my head to a sad 'no'.

Even if he had the power to, I don’t think I’ll be able to see her as my little sister anymore. I’m no longer Abrielle, whose every inch of being was meant to care for her and protect her.

“I just feel guilty towards her. After all, I turned my back on her and that life. Now look at me! I have friends, a family that cares about me, and the most overpowered ability in my hands. Heck! I even have a god by my side”

I laughed out loud, trying to hide the painful pang I felt in my chest.

“I’m sorry”, Celes said.

I turned my head to look at him.

His crystal blue eyes were lighted by the moon and it shone with unshed tears. It held an overwhelming depth of pain and… Longing?

Why did he look like that?

“What’s with you? You’re not being annoying. It’s weird.”

He shrugged his shoulders and looked away.

“I just ran across an old friend earlier. It reminded me of unpleasant memories I’d rather forget.”

My ears literally perked at his words.

Now I’m intrigued.

“An old friend? Your friends with a human?”

He shook his head and I looked at him with a confused gaze.

“He’s not human. You may have heard of him. Murke. He’s a troublesome fellow. You’re better off not meeting him. Ever.”

There was a sharp aggressiveness in his voice. It was the first time I saw him like this.

It felt odd.

I sigh.

“In times like this, I’d rather we chat while drinking strong bottle of gin or something”

I really miss the taste of alcohol…

“You’re too young for that”

I stared at him. Liar. He knew full well that I should be in my 30’s now.

“My body in this world is but my soul isn’t! And my soul craves alcohol!”

“Yeah, you should get to bed. You’re getting sick in the head.”

“Oh! That rhymed!”

He laughed.

A/N: Shortest chapter yet. For the love of God, I hate online classes. But we're over 3k reads! You guys are crazy! I love y'all 🎉