chapter 25

"Who could it be?", I asked myself

"Who could it be?", I asked myself. I was scared that it was going to be some hacker or scammer. "If they say that I something is wrong with my bank account, I'll have to break the news to them that I don't have one"

Unknown Number

Hyerin.
Let's talk.

Who is this?

Your eldest brother.
Doyoung.

You have blocked this number.

"Not today", I muttered and the elevator door opened. I quickly walked outside to get some fresh air. I sat down on a bench, staring off to the distance.

The memories of those two days were still lingering, despite the length of time that had passed. It was as if it had just happened earlier, as if I relived the moment.

"Byeol, be quiet, don't cry", Doyoung comforted me. I was only fourteen, but experienced so much pain. "You still have us"

"Yeah, we'll take care of you", Jungwoo patted my back. "We'll all go through this together. Remember the quote from Stitch and Lilo? Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten"

"Why mom and dad?", my tears remained to flow.

"They aren't left behind or forgotten", Doyoung said. "They're with us, but we just can see them"

"You know I'm not a little kid anymore", I wiped my tears and faced my two brothers. "They're never coming back"

"Byeol, listen to me", Doyoung cupped my cheeks. "I'll make a way. I'll find a way for all of us to live the best life"

"Let's put our trust in Doyoung, okay?", Jungwoo questioned as he tucked me in bed. "Nightmares won't last forever, Byeol. You're stronger than them. Byeol means star, you'll shine brightly one day with no fear"

"Get a good night's sleep" Doyoung patted my head.

"Good night, Byeol", Jungwoo smiled.

The two of them left my room and I quickly drifted off to sleep. That night was like the calmness before the storm, as if I stepped out of the eye of a tornado.

"Who are they and why are they taking away the stuff in the house?!", I panicked.

Jungwoo couldn't do anything but watch them take away everything.

"Doyoung sold the house", Jungwoo was still in shock.

"Why?!", I asked frantically. "Where is he? Did he buy a new place?"

"He left without saying a word", Jungwoo replied. "I checked our security system and he left in the middle of the night"

"He lied", I couldn't believe that the brother I trusted, could leave us just like that.