16

It's been over 3 months... I'm sorry.

"Hey!" Jay heard someone call out to him when he was was walking around the school, trying to find a spot to eat lunch.

He turned around and was faced with none other than the one person who he didn't deserve to talk to. Freddy. After thinking his situation over, he really doesn't think he deserves Freddy's forgiveness and acceptance.

"Hi," he replied, walking over to a tree, and sitting down as he watched Freddy sit down in front of him.

Freddy exhaled, "Are you okay?"

Jay knew why he was asking, but he didn't know how he felt, he felt horrible and guilty, but also relieved that Freddy is so kind. Jay wouldn't have ever forgiven Freddy if he suddenly turned on him one day and bullied him non-stop for the next couple of years after being best friends their whole life.

"It hurt, since we were friends, but I can't complain."

Freddy frowned, "Why not?"

Jay turned and looked Freddy in the eye, "What do you mean why not? I'm a hypocrite. I did the exact same thing to you, but even worse."

Freddy sighed, glad he had finally come to that realisation, but guilty for Jay feeling sad, and not knowing how to cheer him up.

"I'm over it now, let's just move on."

"Move on? You might want to forget it, but I don't. I want to punish myself so much until I'm forced into forgetting it."

Freddy rested his hand on top of mine, I look down as he laces his fingers with mine.

He stared dead into my eyes, "I won't let you do that. I'm telling you to move on, not to forget it. I will never forget those years, I can't expect you to, but I'm moving on, not letting it dictate how I act towards you. I'm asking you to do the same."

I sigh, then release a small smile, "I guess I could do that."

A big smile appeared on Freddy's face, "Good."

He leaned forward and hugged me. I tensed at first, not used to the feeling, but then I relaxed and put my arms around his shoulders, his cheek pressing into my shirt.

I buried my head into his hair, thankful that someone didn't give up on me.

We probably would have sat like this all lunch if Freddy hadn't gotten hungry. He unraveled his arms from around me, and sat down beside me, opening his lunch box.

Suddenly, a voice called out, "Freddy! Freddy!" A girl came running from the school building.

Both Freddy and I look up to see a tall girl with curly blonde hair down to her waist, running towards us.

When she stopped in front of us, she was heavily panting, "I've been looking everywhere for you Freddy!Come on," she said, nodding her head in the direction of the building.

Freddy looked to the ground, as if hesitant to go with her.

The girl furrowed her eyebrows, and then her eyes drifted to me and her eyebrows shot up.

Then suddenly she was glaring at me, "Come on Freddy. Get away from him."

"Uh-" he didn't get to finish before she was grabbing his arm, pulling him up.

"But-" she once again cut him off, by quickly pulling him away, making him trip, but he got back on his feet.

When they were a little distance away, but still close enough for them to yell out, she turned away and called out to me, "Stay the fuck away from Freddy. Do you hear me?" She screamed, then turned back around, and continued to pull Freddy towards the school building.

I sigh. That must be Freddy's friend.

But what did I expect? For her to not know who I am? For her to have a fine opinion of me? Freddy has most likely told her what I did to him. Of course she would hate me.

I suddenoy had a thought. I have to make this better.

I quickly gather my lunch, and run off. They were still in my eyesight, as they were about to enter the building.

"Wait!" I scream out.

Neither of them react. I run a little further, and right as she pulls the door open, and scream again, "Wait!"

She spins around, eyes quickly glaring.

Freddy turns around looking relieved.

"Wait can you let me explain?" I ask. He pulls out of her grip, and makes his way to me.

She looks startled, and reaches to pull Freddy back towards her. I pull him close to me.

"Get away from him!" She yelled at me, obviously not seeing the situation as it is, only seeing that I'm a bully who is taking her friend.

"Syd..." I hear Freddy speak from next to me, "It's okay. He's not going to hurt me."

She scoffs, "Are you serious? Let me guess, he said sorry and you went running into his arms. That's what happened didn't it? You're so clueless, Freddy, I swear!"

"Please calm dow-" Freddy doesn't get to finish his sentence before she's cutting him off again.

"No! No, I won't calm down! You're being dumb! You know what he did to you, yet you're in his arms so easily!"

"That's not what happened!!" He screamed. Everything seemed to go quiet.

She took a deep breath, "Ok," she said calmly, yet with a dirty undertone, "Explain. What happened?"

Freddy stuttered for a few seconds, "Well, I- Um.. well we.. uh.." the realisation hit both of us that we couldn't exactly tell her our situation.

Freddy sighs, "I can't explain it, but that's not how it happened."

Sydney rolled her eyes, "Sure okay, whatever you say. Next time, grow a pair." And with that, she continued to storm off.

He let out a sigh, his body slumping against mine, I wrap my arms around his shoulders.

"Do I have to tell her?" He asks me, sniffing.

"You can't tell her." I remind him.

"I- I know but... she won't forgive me unless I tell her why we don't hate eachother anymore. And I can't come up with a believable excuse."

I sigh, "If she's truly your friend, she wouldn't not talk to you ever again over something like this. Tell her that it's not that you don't trust her enough to tell her, it's just that you just can't tell her. If you could you would. Tell her that."

He furrowed his brows, "I guess that's kinda.. telling the truth. But what if she still questions?"

"Then remind her that you CANT tell her. Not in any circumstances."

He looked up at me, smiling, "Okay. Thank you."

I couldn't help but smile back at him, I rest my forehead against his, "You're welcome."