the raven girl- chapter 9- my brother

The raven who claimed to be my brother perched on the wardrobe looking down at me with its black soulless eyes staring at me. I was speechless, most people would have laughed or immediately dismissed such nonsense but a voice deep within me that whispered this bird was telling the truth. Either that or I was having a full blown delusion.

“How is that possible?” I asked.

“Sister I have not the luxury of time to explain the circumstances of your past. I have only come with a message from our homelands beyond the forests and mountains deep in the wilderness. Your hands are stained with the blood of our fallen brothers. Many races have suffered from your cowardice little sister. In the four hundred years of your absence the war between the Vampire Prince Dante and the Dragon King Freyr has divided our world and claimed many lives-”

“What are you talking about?” I said.

“When you runaway the vampires searched everywhere for their Prince’s beloved bride. Prince Dante sank into a depression and accused the Dragon King of kidnapping you and sending you into the mortal world. The Dragon King then accused Dante of kidnapping his bride and sending her to the mortal world. Thus the war began. Now the dragons and vampires have turned this whole land into a battleground. The vampire prince has his bride but now the dragon king needs his. Then the war will end.”

“I don’t understand-”

“You must atone for the blood on your hands by finishing the mess you once started! Find the Dragon King’s bride and stop the war!” The raven cried.

“How the hell am I suppose to find this Dragon King’s bride!”

“You are the only one of your kind. The Dragon King’s bride is the only one of her kind. Find her.” The raven ordered and then flew up the chimney.

I stood there for a few seconds contemplating what had just happened- a bird had shot out the chimney, announced it was my brother and that informed me that the current four hundred year old war was my fault and I needed to do something about it.

The door opened and Dante walked in, “Why do I smell bird?” He asked.

“My brother just paid me a visit to tell me that I caused a four hundred year old war.”

“And do you believe him?” Dante asked.

“I don’t know what to believe. This is all so surreal.”

“Ebony, this war is not your fault. The dragons took you from me and sent you to that awful world. Freyr even sent his own bride to her death in the mortal world. He has no compassion or soul. He is an evil that needs to wiped from the earth.”

“My brother-”

“Has the brain the size of a pea. He is a common bird of the forest with no intellect or insight. Politics are above his understanding my Princess. Do not let his unkind words sadden you. I know my love would have never abandoned me.” Dante smiled.