Exist

Chapter 8

Sunday, September 13th, 1pm

I'd soon come to find that I really enjoy Jungkook's company.

He's a sweetheart.

Even when I woke up to him staring at me like a creep this morning, he'd still somehow managed to look so innocent that I couldn't really feel too freaked out. Maybe that was his way of showing affection. Or maybe he'd forgotten how to act around people after 20 years of solitude. I really can't tell, but he kind of radiated this child-like aura that made me wonder if he really is as old as he says he is.

He's also funny. When I'd found out that he died more than 2 decades ago, I assumed that his sense of humour would be kind of outdated. But it isn't.

Jungkook had explained to me that it's because he often snuck over to the houses of the people on this floor and kind of eavesdropped on them. Watched whatever they were watching.

He'd also informed me that Jimin watched some concerning things occasionally, but I'm not really surprised.

I guess that's why his understanding of modern slang is pretty good but earlier he'd asked me what a "WAP" was.

I'd almost died of embarrassment.

Besides that, he is just a really fun person to be around. It was refreshing to come home to a welcoming face after a long day of work.

"Is this going to hurt?" Jungkook asks, staring at me with his large, doe orbs.

He was currently strapped up to a electromagnetic field projector that'd I'd bought off of Amazon. Its credibility is somewhat questionable, but that isn't going to stop me.

We had been running experiments all day and I think Jungkook was getting a little tired. He didn't complain, though, so I kept going.

We'd done everything from thermal imaging, to laser tests and even ghost box recordings. I was ecstatic to be coming up with such good results for every test I'd ran so far.

I figured that since I am going to be stuck with him for a while, I can at least use him as my research for my book.

Obviously he'd agreed when I asked him. He seemed to like the extra attention.

"No, it's just gonna send some electromagnetic fields through your body. Then I'll be able to measure it," I say and tap the edge of my clipboard with my pen.

Jungkook looks at me nervously.

"Why?"

"Well, ghosts supposedly give a spike in emf readings when they're present. Sometimes even disrupt the fields and mess with equipment like cameras and cellphones," I explain, turning the machine on.

It was true. Yesterday when Jungkook stood near the microwave, it went completely berserk. It burnt my rice too so I'm still slightly miffed.

"Oh, okay I see. I trust you, Angel," he gives me his toothy grin and I resist the urge to squeal at how adorable he looks.

Giving Jungkook a pat on his fluffy head, I turn on the machine.

It starts to buzz and I smile in satisfaction.

Jungkook squirms around uncomfortably in his seat. His teeth graze his bottom lip and his eyes shift around quickly.

"I don't like how this feels," he says quietly.

"Hmm, what was that?" I question, not fully paying attention to what he's saying.

Instead, I'm looking at the reading on the meter that's going off the charts.