Ch 100: Ptilopsis's Guide

Ptilopsis had slept until it's dusk.

When Lin Yie is about to leave his office, she wakes up groggily.

"Hibernation mode over. System restart complete," Ptilopsis stands in front of Lin Yie, looking prim and proper, "Dr. Lin, Operator Ptilopsis greets you."

Lin Yie asks, "How much do you sleep a day?"

Ptilopsis says, "It's variable."

"Then, how long does your 'hibernation' last?"

"It's variable."

Are you sure you are not skipping work intentionally?

Lin Yie thinks, but he doesn't ask her that question. If her sleep were really induced by oripathy, asking her that question would make him look too insensitive, but even if she doesn't sleep during her work, there is not much she needs to do to begin with.

"Anyway," Lin Yie sighs, "Work's over. You can go home now."

Ptilopsis doesn't move. She asks, "Detected negative emotions. Is Ptilopsis's assistance required?"

Lin Yie sighs again, "You can't do anything about it."

"Operator Ptilopsis can offer analytical assistance."

Lin Yie asks, "You sure?"

"Yeee..." Ptlopsis's head is suddenly lowered. She's napping while standing.

A moment later, she says, "Yes."

Lady, that doesn't sound convincing at all.

Lin Yie finds a piece of paper and begins to draw on it. He asks, "Have you played any video games before?"

"What is a video game?"

"It's like problem-solving," Lin Yie explains, "You beat a monster or an obstacle, and level up. Oh. You don't level up in this case."

Lin Yie stares at his "drawing." If this were a school assignment, he would have failed. He shows it to Ptilopsis, "Here, do you understand what I drew?"

"Yes, it's your self-portrait."

"..."

"That was a joke," Ptilopsis says slowly.

"..." 

hmm...I needed that

"Detected positive emotion," Ptilopsis says, "Then, what is your order for Ptilopsis?"

"I already said this is a game," Lin Yie taps his pen on the paper, "Let me tell you the rules first."

Lin Yie describes his abilities to visit dreams and stealth. He also talks about the underground prison and the mission objective. Surprisingly, Ptilopsis manages to listen without falling asleep.

Lin Yie waits for her response, but she doesn't speak. Lin Yie asks, "Do you need me to repeat what I said?"

Ptilopsis shakes her head, "No. Ptilopsis is analyzing."

Lin Yie nods.

"Analysis complete," Ptilopsis says, 

"The difficulty is really high. To ensure correctness, the mission is complete when the target is brought out of the prison. It is considered a failure when the main character is killed. Is that correct?"

Lin Yie nods.

Ptilopsis points at the stick figure, that is, Lin Yie, on the drawing, "Because of the high probability of death in battle, a high number of enemies, and complexity of the layout, the probability of success is very low."

"So... is it still possible to win?"

"Yes," Ptilopsis nods, 

"There are items, hidden locations, and caves. If they are utilized correctly, there is hope."

Lin Yie nods. If she can think of all this based on a simple explanation, what if he tells her everything?

"Is this map complete?"

Lin Yie shakes his head, "No, not yet."

"I need more information," Ptilopsis says, 

"Current information is insufficient for drafting an escape route. I can only ensure that the main character can escape safely."

"Then, let me tell you about my past attempts."

Lin Yie describes his previous attempts in detail. Of course, he doesn't forget to embellish his second attempt.

"You took more risk in your second attempt, but the probability of success remained low," Ptilopsis says, "You don't feel confident in defeating an enemy, even with stealth. Is that correct?"

Lin Yie nods.

"But did you consider the alternative?" Ptilopsis says, 

"Based on Ptilopsis's analysis, avoiding confrontations is the safest option."

Lin Yie smiles bitterly, "How's that possible?"

"No, it is very feasible," Ptilopsis says, "Based on your description, your stealth is only deactivated when you attack, but picking up an item doesn't deactivate it. Is that correct?"

Lin Yie nods, "At least, that's what I have seen so far. Even when I bumped into them, my stealth still worked."

"Then, the problem is simple," Ptilopsis says, "You can just take the key from your enemies and use it to unlock the cell."