Chapter two

Sophie went through science, art and lunch in a daze, but when the bell rang for P.E., Sophie felt excited.
P.E. was the only thing she liked about school.
She was always so much better than everyone else and she found pleasure in CRUSHING every one of her opponents.
It was probably a problem that was never going to get fixed.

Sophie grabbed her water bottle and ran into the gym.
She sat down on an empty bench along a wall.
Other students ran in, all chatting and sitting on every other bench.
It was like she had some contagious disease.
What are you gonna catch?
Smartness?
Athleticism?

Coach Freeman walked through the doorway and blew his whistle.

"All right students!" He yelled. "Today we will be playing dodge ball!"

He grabbed his clipboard and read off 15 names including Sophie's.
They were team one.
He then read off 16 more names, say they would be team two.
Each team went to separate sides of the gym while Coach lined up 30 balls on the middle line in the gym.
Once the balls were set up, he yelled for everyone to get on their starting positions and blew his whistle when he saw his orders were carried out.

Everyone ran to grab a ball.
Sophie grabbed two and threw one at Donovan and the other at a random skinny kid.
They both got hit and sat on a bench.
Sophie dodged five balls that were thrown her way and she picked up another ball and threw it at a girl she knew as Jessica.

Jessica got hit and sat beside Donovan.

Several of Sophie's teammates were hit, leaving only seven of them.
Sophie struck out three more people and dodged more balls that were thrown at her.
This went on until Sophie was the only one left on her team and two boys on the opposing.

They each were holding two balls and chucked them at Sophie.
She expertly dodged them and picked up two balls and chucked them at the two boys.
They each got hit in the stomach and the coach blew the whistle.

"Team one wins!" He announced.

Sophie smiled smugly at Team two.

Donovan stood up.
"That's not fair! They had Sophie!"

"Ah. Bitter compliments, "Sophie said. "The only kind I get."

"Okay then," Coach said. "We'll do a test. Sophie against Donovan, Trevor, Jessica..."
Coach listed off twelve more names.

That's so not fair!

Coach Freeman put twenty balls on the middle line of the gym and blew his whistle.
Immediately Sophie bolted and grabbed to balls.
She hurled them at Trevor and another boy.

They were out.

Everyone threw their dodgeballs at Sophie, but she dodged them by doing a back handspring.

She grabbed two balls and threw them at two other people.

Two more were out.

Donovan chucked a ball at Sophie, but she spun out of the way and dodged six others.
She threw a ball at Jessica, who screamed in frustration and sat grumpily on a bench.
A boy threw two balls at Sophie, but she dodged one and caught the other. He stomped over to a bench and sat down.

For the next few minutes Sophie dodged and threw balls at people until it was just her and Donovan left.
He threw a ball at Sophie but she ducked out of the way. She threw a ball at him and he spun out of its path.
Sophie grabbed two balls and chucked them as hard as she could at Donovan.
He stumbled over from the impact

Coach blew his whistle. "Sophie wins!"

Sophie laughed as everyone started grumbling and accusing her of cheating.