Chapter 28

Song: Maps

Artist: Maroon 5

Chapter 28

With everyone apart from Lochlan driving, they passed two towns and reached the third one on the map by dawn. It was time for a break. Reagan filled up gas, Lochlan got breakfast while Ezekiel wiped the windows of the Jeep. With nothing else to do, Frederic checked his phone. He knew Wahid would be awake at this time of the morning to pray.

'I'm sorry for driving off like that. It all happened so quickly and there wouldn't be space in the Jeep if we found her and brought her back.'

'It's okay. My mom wouldn't let me, anyway. She's been up my ass lately about everything,' Wahid sighed. 'I don't blame her though. I didn't say how long we'd be gone. She got scared. I promised my dad I'd be there for my family.'

'You should be, take this time to...I don't know? Reconnect? What do the Nazari's do for fun?'

'Frederic Stark, I thought you knew us...we eat! I'll take them out for dinner with the extra cash I'm getting covering your ass.'

'Thanks, again and sorry in advance if my dad is a pain.'

'Why? What'd you do?' Wahid snorted. 'Not tell him?'

'I finally stood up to him and told him how I felt,' He chuckled. 'You should've seen his face. 'This is not my son.' Well, Tom, it is your son which you've failed to raise and left him in the hands of others. It's your fault he just drove off with his friend and all you could do was watch.'

'Shit, I'd congratulate you but I have to deal with him today. I'll talk some sense into him. He likes me, right?'

'Are you kidding me? My dad likes anyone who's fit and plays a sport.'

'Well, after our talk, he'll value you and what you offer as a son. As bad as it sounds, I'll play the 'My dad is dead, and I'd pay for one more day with him so interact with your son' card. That'll sure turn on the sympathize button.'

'Don't be too harsh, when you get all into it you talk in Arabic. There's no translator in the room.'

'Noted.' Wahid let out a yawn so loud Frederic had to pull the phone back. 'All right, Frederic, I'm tired, you must be too. Get some sleep then go get our girl.'

The Jeep wasn't spacious enough for the four of them but no one wanted to share a bed in a motel and pay for a few hours. So, they settled on the beach and used their overnight bags as pillows. When the sun came up and dogs kept sniffing them, they got up and back on the road. They drove the rest of the day and slept at night for a few hours. Each town they passed from day two, they had to drive through in search of Octavia. Some required asking around while others were straight through road.

The second last town, called West Fort they decided would be their pit stop. The train had one town left to go so it could be either of them. Reagan dropped each of them off at a different part of West Fort. It wasn't too big for him to navigate. While they searched on foot, he drove around and eventually stopped for gas then searched for a motel.

Lochlan and Frederic eventually found each other and walked together. Lochlan pulled out a cigarette and offered Frederic. He declined and continued to look for her. They passed old buildings and a park that barely had space for the playground. Each time Frederic turned his head, he felt like everywhere looked the same. The roads were similar and streets names were almost the same. They stopped at a traffic light where Frederic reached for the button but Lochlan beat him to it. He pursed his lips at Lochlan who shrugged.