{2⁷} {NICHOLAS J. FURY}

∆ {2⁷} {NICHOLAS J. FURY} ∆

ALMOST EVERYTHING AFTER that was a blur. Roxi didn't remember hearing the voices of the agents, or the slamming of the car doors, or even the quiet questions being thrown around in the back of the vehicle. Instead, all she heard was a low, pulsating whine that drowned out the rest of the world, and coupled with her still aching head, hurting stomach and dislocated shoulder, meant that she wasn't paying attention to anything but her thoughts. The stinging on her back had subsided for the moment, and she was resting her head on her fists with her elbows propped up on her knees. She was sure somebody had asked her a question, but she wasn't in the right state of mind to answer. Thoughts were swarming through her head like a hive of wasps that kept stinging every time a new thought struck.

What would happen now?

Who was the Winter Soldier?

Would HYDRA kill them?

Had they really been caught?

Where were they being taken?

At least for a few of those questions, Roxi had answers. HYDRA would take them back to the Triskelion and probably interrogate them before disposing of them accordingly. She clenched her fists so hard that her nails dug into her palm and her whole hand turned white. She was shaking slightly, though she doubted that anyone noticed with the roughness of the journey. The driver clearly wasn't trying to be careful. She'd lost her quarterstaff as well. She'd been working on the prototype for so long, and now it was simply gone, washed away in the tide of blood that lay heavy on HYDRA's shoulders, just as her parents had been, overtaken by the racing waves of crimson red. Just as Coulson had been. Just as Fury had been. Just as she soon would be. Her mind seemed to swirl and flow with all the power of a whirlpool, sucking her downwards, deeper until she drowned under the force of her own thoughts. But then, surprisingly, Steve's voice seemed to lift her up until she broke the surface, and she slowly lifted her head and let her eyes dart around, taking in the interior of the van as best she could.

"It was him," Steve began. He had his hands locked in thick metal braces, welded securely together as he admired the minute details, his mind flashing back and forward in time like a tennis ball bouncing from one court to another. 

"He looked like him. He didn't even know me." He continued, still keeping his gaze on the steel as Roxi drew in a long, slow breath. Natasha's skin was pale, and blood was trickling down from the bullet hole. Roxi wanted nothing more than to stop the flow of blood and sew up the injury of herself, but that wouldn't happen; she doubted she'd live past a few days.

"How's that even possible, it was, like, 70 years ago," Sam pointed out, seeming a little pissed. She didn't know who they were talking about, but she did notice how Natasha's eyes were fixed on the ground, just as hers had been a moment before. She was, for some reason, sitting next to the redhead, and felt a need to comfort her. Her restrains weren't as strong as Steve's, and were thick handcuffs. She moved her hands slightly so that her fingers brushed Natasha's, and the redhead blinked, her eyes refocusing on the ground, but not moving, and Roxi knew she was now just keeping up appearances, until Natasha flicked her gaze to Steve as he continued, and Roxi leant back against the metal wall, wincing minutely as her shoulder came in contact with the cold surface.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. He must've found him." Natasha hadn't exactly realised that she'd zoned out. Instead, she'd relived similar experiences she'd had in her life, which were quite a few. Most were from her time with the KGB, but there were a couple with S.H.I.E.L.D, and none of them were pleasant. She felt a sudden, light spark flutter through her body and it took her a moment to realise that Ryder's fingers had lightly touched her own, and it was if she had been pulled out of the dark. As soon as she registered what Steve had said, she looked up at him, sparing the brunette a swift glance. She noticed Ryder slowly piecing together what was going on, and she felt slightly guilty that she hadn't fully explained the situation to the rogue agent.