Chapter 46: Shades of Grey VIII (White, Black, and Grey)

A/N: No spoilers, please!

LORELEI

"I believe it's time for us to set aside the dumb protocols and start working together. My brother was falsely accused of being connected to that monster. That's an affront not only to him, but to me and the Mendez bloodline as well. It has become too personal now. Let's combine our wits together and find out who's trying to distract us from the real chase."

INSPECTOR MORGAN Morales gave Loki a resounding "no." Isang salita lang 'yon pero parang sampal na 'yon sa mukha niya. That left him dumbfounded.

I honestly thought that would already do the trick. Loki gave it his best to deliver a semi-heartfelt speech. There was no hint of contempt in his voice. Para siyang bata na determinadong ipaghiganti ang kanyang pinaslang na magulang paglaki niya. That must not have been easy for him. But I hope he really meant some of those words even just a little.

Kumurap ang mga mata niya habang patuloy na nakatingin kay Inspector Morales. We waited with bated breath for the inspector's explanation.

"Sa tingin n'yo ba'y basta-basta ako madadala sa drama na 'yan?" tanong niya. "Just because your brother was being falsely accused of something you believe he didn't commit, you thought I would already give you a VIP access to our records? Do you take me for a fool?"

"I didn't mean to offend you, inspector," Loki said politely. "You are without a doubt smart policeman. Only a fool would underestimate you. But I thought you'd understand my eagerness to assist the campus police in investigating—"

"We don't need any assistance, lalo na sa mga gaya n'yong bata," Inspector Morales cut his words short. "Masyado kayong ini-spoil ni Estrada noon kaya akala n'yo, pwede na kayong manghimasok sa trabaho ng mga pulis. Didn't I make myself very clear the last time we spoke about this?"

"We may be young, but you can't deny that we have valuable contribution to this unit." Loki casted a glance over the other officers in the room. He was unfazed by the inspector's intimidating tone. "Since when did age become a reason to stop people from seeking out the truth?"

"Huwag n'yo akong daanin sa ganyan." The inspector shook his head. "There's nothing you can do to change my mind. Leave this business to the campus police. We can handle it ourselves."

"Uhm... inspector?" singit ni Jamie. She took a step forward and flashed a shy yet cute expression. "What if we tell you na—"

"Sorry, but I'm not talking to you," the inspector interrupted. Napaurong si Jamie sa likuran ko at napahawak sa aking braso. She looked like she was spooked. She overestimated her charming powers. "You should be studying your lessons instead of interfering with police business. Isn't that right, sir?"

Tumingin sa amin si Sir Jim Morayta na nasa tabi namin at nakikinig sa aming usapan. "The inspector seems to have already made up his mind. But the student executive committee will still try to coordinate with the campus police sakaling may update sa case. Would that be okay, inspector?"