28 ♛ Loyalty in Her Cup

When Diana arrived, the whispers followed like they were ghosts chasing her heels. Compared to the subdued and discreet gossip in the Silver Palace, Gold Palace is cruel.

People blatantly stare, and instead of inaudible hush, words of 'whore' and 'disgrace' reached her ears. As she entered the queen's chambers, Diana sighed in relief with Niccolus' absence. Four years ago, as per her request, the news that Xander killed the prostitute and foiled Niccolus' plans was already established, so the crown prince could not recognize her. But she was still cautious. After all, she was supposed to their spy.

Diana ran to the queen screaming "Queen Mother!" and rubbed her devastated face on her lap. "They were gossiping about me. Do something, please!"

She continued complaining about how Xander has become colder because of the rumor and how everyone was ganging up on her in Silver Palace. She also informed how he has been exchanging letters with Therese and added that the Ducal House of Hearth might be siding with the second prince.

"But he's been distracted a lot these days looking for the princess." She didn't stand up but remained on the floor, leaning on the Queen Claudette's lap, while the latter patted her face gently.

"That poor child, I hope they can find her soon, and the baby as well."

Diana retorted with a complaint hat instead of finding the princess. They must clear her name first. "I couldn't stand it anymore!"

It was far from the first impression she had shown to the queen. But she was confident, the more they met, the more she 'shredded' her true colors as an ambitious baroness. "Those peasants spreading falsehood about me, their heads will roll once I marry my Nicco."

"...Nicco?" Queen Claudette asked.

"Niccolus, of course, Queen Mother!"

It was just a fraction of a second and so discreetly, but Diana saw the corners of the queen's eye twitch. "...I see."

With a soft pull, she motioned Diana to sit beside her. "Now, now, there is no need to stress yourself. Summer is about to end, and the last ball for this season is just days away. Do you have a gown prepared?"

"I do, but it's so simple. The second prince could not afford to buy me jewels to match my dress."

"Then I shall give you one, a gown, I mean."

"Really?"

"Of course. But, before that, you must do something for me, my dear."

"What is it, anything!" She even leaned forward to show her excitement.

"You see, even though it was just a political marriage, Niccolus has been heartbroken with Lady Therese's distance nowadays. Sooner or later, the engagement will be broken, but I could not just fully entrust my beloved son to you. I'm afraid that you will also break his heart and distance yourself."

"I won't, Queen Mother. I swear on my life that I'd be his queen. What will I do to assure you?"

Ah. This scenario was precisely in her vision. This was the moment that she was tested for her loyalty.

Queen Claudette signaled her trusted maid with just a beckon of her finger. The maid placed a box beside the still untouched tea on the table. "This is a binding potion."

The queen lifted a tube glass a small as her finger. Inside was a murky green liquid. "If you drink this, this will bind your allegiance to me, and death will be your punishment the moment you betray me. I do not want to do this method to you, my belove future daughter-in-law, but I need to calm my heart."