Chapter 8

It's early when I wake up, and before my eyes even open I know I'm alone. Not just in bed either, the apartment is empty. Again. Nothing was ever just simple. It was never easy. Cain had been gone yesterday morning after my little confession, a note on the pillow that he had something to and would be back later.

Too bad I had no idea when later was going to be.

"Okay, Blueberry. Let me get through this morning and then you can let me feel as shit as you want. Promise. I won't even curse you for doing this to me." I pat my stomach as it rumbles, hungrily. "Good, glad you agreed."

I go through the motions of getting ready, testing our agreement later by sitting down with a banana, and then some yoghurt. Everything stays where it should, and when I'm nearly positive that's how it's going to stay, I find the Van Helsing boys and Sam already in the gym warming up.

"Here she is!" Drew takes a bow. "Your highness."

I try not to groan. Since our last chat where I filled him in on some of what had happened while I was away, he wouldn't drop the Queen business. It was like I'd found a Kara replacement and it only made me miss her more. I couldn't face Raya after telling her everything went great with five thumbs up emojis. It was four too many and that thumb had definitely been turned upside down.

"Yeah, bow down pheasant." I nod, raising an eyebrow at the others who only shake their heads while trying to hide their smiles. "I actually thought I was on time, you're all here early?"

"Zane cancelled. Didn't you get his message last night?" Nigel came over and gave me a hug. "Good too see you though, Ellie."

I smile, but look over at the micromanager of the family. "I must have missed that. Did he say why?"

"No." Tom answers super helpfully.

"We're still going to do some training. Wanna show us what you've got anyway?" Drew raises his fists, punching the air with a few grunts of effort to go with it.

Not a chance.

"I was only coming here on a supervisory level. I've done some pretty intense workouts lately so I'm on a rest day." I lie.

The only workout I'd been doing lately was heaving into the toilet, but they didn't need to know that. Despite just waking up, I already felt tired so this change to my schedule was very welcome.

"Psh. Since when does Miss Bunting turn down a chance to kick Tom's ass?" Drew taunted.

Never, except for today and maybe the next few times too. Sorry Drew, Blueberry on board. "I'll take a rain check. He looks like he's already had a bad day, so I'll give him a break. Oh nope. That's just his face."

"Fuck this." Tom heads off down the other end of the room, Sam dutifully following after throwing me an apologetic look.

"What?" I ask Nigel who rolls his eyes.

"Nothing!"

"You're not staying then?" Drew asks as his brothers get to it.

"I'm honestly exhausted after this week. Promise to take it easy on me?" I grab some gloves.

"Yeah, of course. You don't look great. How hard have you been working it?"

"Oh you know me. All or nothing, right?"

We go onto the mats, and start to warm up.

"How's Penny and Colton? That was a great wedding." He takes the first shot, and I duck it easily. The next few go the same way. "You don't have to do this."