XIV

"When you engage in an argument, always remember that crazy people see themselves as normal. In their mind there is nothing wrong with them or what they are doing . Only normal people see them being crazy." DJ Kyos

----

XIV.

"You really need not fuss!" cried Mrs Denham as Grace, Kate and Claire helped her into bed. "It is just a little ache!"

Grace could see the pain etched on her mother's face, and it was certainly not a little ache. She would need to dispatch a letter to the doctor in the morning. She was not ready to be out of bed, and it had been more than two months. Whenwould she be alright again? Would she ever be alright again?

"Claire, go and make Mama some tea," Kate instructed, sending their youngest sister down to the kitchen. "I will have Jim see you back to Ashwood House," she told Grace.

"No, I do not want Grace to go yet," insisted Mrs Denham. "Now that we are away from prying eyes," she shifted uncomfortably, "and more importantly, gossiping ears, will you tell me what was discussed between Adam Beresford and yourself?"

Grace could not even think of what had transpired, for all she could focus upon was the beautiful woman who had arrived late. The woman who had turned out to be Adam's fiancée.

Lady Sarah Ashley. Titled, wealthy, and impossibly lovely. What saddened Grace even more was the fact that she looked upon Adam with great affection. There was a connection between them, and Grace knew that it was entirely inappropriate to be speaking of it.

But her mother and sister were awaiting an answer. "You must not bring it up again in conversation," she said firmly. "I will tell you, and then it must be forgotten. Lord Beresford received a nearly identical letter to the one I was sent ending our understanding. Of course, it was not from me, just as the letter that I received was not from him. Someone intervened and ended our friendship, our ... someone put a stop to it. But it is entirely inconsequential now," Grace said quickly. "He is engaged. You all saw him dancing with her."

Kate smiled sympathetically at Grace, softly placing a hand on hers. "Dear Grace, we all saw him dancing with you," she uttered quietly.

"I don't know why I am so surprised," remarked Mrs Denham. "I honestly feel so foolish to have believed Adam capable of such a cruel act for so long. We need not think too long over just who the real culprit could be. I only know one so nasty."

"She never liked me," murmured Grace. "We all know this." Sighing, she stood up. "But what's done is done. I can forgive Adam now. I can put this behind me and get on with my role in his household." She would indeed be needing to maintain that employment for a long while, it seemed. Mrs Denham was in no shape to resume her employment. "I will return to the house now," she added for Kate.

Kate nodded. "I will tell Jim to escort you back." Sighing sadly, Kate pulled Grace into a tight embrace. "I love you so, Grace," she whispered in her ear. "You are the kindest, most selfless person I know. If I could but see you happy, I would be so fulfilled."

***

Ruby had not returned from the ball when Grace entered into their shared bedroom. It was a little after midnight, and the musicians would surely be playing for at least another hour or two. Balls were so few and far between, that Grace would understand if Ruby stayed until the very last song.

Grace changed out of Kate's dress, delicately folding it and laying it down on the end of her bed. She got into her nightgown before finding herself kneeling before her trunk of possessions. She unfolded several of the real letters that Adam had sent to her years ago.