Episode 6

Before:

Once everyone was at their seat and settled, Edaline gave a little speech, and called out for Jolie and Brant to enter.

A gentle melody, filled with sounds of nature, began to play.

And Jolie and Brant appeared at the end of the aisle.

The crowd, which had been murmuring quietly, fell silent.

The couple rose into the air.

Elves used telekinesis more than other skills, and one main use was for weddings. This way, everyone could see the special occasion without having to crane their necks around one another.

The couple levitated in front of and above the crowd (Jolie wore tight pants underneath her dress) as they twisted toward one another and held hands. Lady Vera, the person in charge of the wedding, rose up as well, and began her speech.

Sophie tuned her out.

She was focused on Jolie and Brant, holding hands and gazing at each other as though no one else existed. Edaline, sitting beside her, wiped at her teary eyes. Grady blinked a few times to clear his own misty eyes. Sophie held in her own sniffles. But she kept her watery eyes trained on the couple as Vera moved on to the main part.

"Do you swear to love each other always, and never forget how your love brought each other together?"

"Yes," Jolie and Brant answered, tears streaming down their faces as they kissed.

The crowd cheered and clapped, happy for the newly married couple.

The two elves gently floated down, landing right in the circle that Edaline had marked, and Edaline snapped her fingers. Red and white petals appeared and began spiraling down, showering them with soft beauty, and silver butterflies fluttered around them.

Laughing, Jolie and Brant shouted together, "Let the party begin!"

Elves didn't have afterparties. They had PARTIES. They began immediately after the ceremony and continued long into the night. Guests could mingle and eat and drink as they pleased.

A buzz of conversation and laughter immediately spread through the crowd, and Sophie stood up and started looking for her friends. But the crowd was HUGE, stretching past the pterodactyl enclosure to the mastodon field, and Sophie couldn't catch a glimpse of any of her friends. Unfortunately, she did see someone that she was sure wouldn't come.

Stina sneered when she caught Sophie looking at her, and haughtily turned her nose up. With her parents, she held her crystal up to the light and leaped away, heading home. The Hekses had stayed for the ceremony, and then left, not wanting to attend the party of a bad match.

A hand landed on her shoulder, and Sophie jumped.

"Oops, did I scare you?" Biana didn't give her a chance to answer, saying, "We all have a table over there, come on!"

Sophie let Biana tug her to the table where all of her friends were. Sitting next to Keefe, with Fitz on her other side, she saved her spot and stood up again to get some food, which her friends had already gotten.

After waiting in line for AGES, she picked out her favorite foods and dessert and hurried back to her table, where everyone was in the middle of a discussion.

"We should totally do it!" Biana was saying, tossing her dark hair over her shoulder.

"Um, no," Fitz protested. "I know if we do end up doing it, then you'll want to play truth or dare, and that is ALWAYS a bad idea."