twelve

The white, cold sun of the mid-morning is shining through the many walls of glass of the palace as Alouette makes her way to Evie's desk, making her feel like she's walking inside a block of ice.

She ignores the little glances some people send her every once in a while; it happens more and more often the more Harry seems to find reasons to talk to her, and it makes her a bit uneasy. She doesn't want anyone to pay attention to her and fears they'll understand what she's after if they do.

She sees Evie walking ahead of her and she calls her loudly to catch her attention, and she stops and turns around, waiting for her to come closer.

"What do I need to do today?" Alouette asks her, but she gives her an odd look.

"The president gave you a free day today."

Alouette frowns. She teased him about it yesterday, but she really didn't think he'd actually do that. It's crazy to think he did. Is he trying to prove a point? What will she even do, now? Stare at the ceiling for an entire day?

"What?"

Evie nods. "Also, he asked for you earlier. He wants you to accompany him to a meeting, about," she checks the time on her phone, "now. The limousine is waiting downstairs, I'm suggesting you to be quick. He doesn't like waiting."

If Alouette was confused before, she doesn't even know what to think now. But there isn't much room for her to wonder, because Harry is waiting for her in that instant.

"Thank you," she simply says, walking to the lift.

She gets to the bottom floor as fast as possible, but she pauses right before opening the door.

What even is going on? Why does Harry want her to go with him? Is it just a follow-up on their conversation from yesterday, or is there something more? The more she thinks about it, the more she feels herself start freaking out.

This doesn't make sense. Should she even go at all? Maybe she shouldn't. What if something awful happens? What does he even want from her?

She closes her eyes and takes some deep breaths, not caring about the weird looks some of the guards walking past give her. She knows she must be looking ridiculous in that moment, but she can't help it. When she feels her heartbeat slow down to a more acceptable rhythm, she finally opens the door and walks out, spotting a long black car not too far away.

When she gets to the limousine Harry is already inside and waiting for her.

She feels a bit unsure but doesn't falter as she approaches the vehicle, knowing that he's probably observing her every action from the window.

The guard standing next to it opens the door for her, and she gets inside, sitting in front of Harry.

He's wearing one of his usual suits and he doesn't seem to be wearing any makeup, if not some lipstick. He still looks better than any other man she's ever seen.

"I thought you got lost for a second there, Lark," he comments, referring to her little delay.

"Your home has more corridors than it needs to have," she replies, just to go along with what he said. She can't certainly tell him she's late because she spent the last ten minutes freaking out.

He hums as the guard enters the limousine and starts it, the purr of the engine filling the silence that follows her words.

Alouette wonders if she's allowed to ask him where they're going. She probably isn't and she doesn't want to seem too curious, too, so she doesn't, even though it makes her a bit restless.

Harry looks like he's busy and is going through some papers, so she decides it'll be wiser to let him do his thing. He isn't shy anyway, so if he wants to chat, he'll surely let her know.