Shopping

One of Cove's outfits from shopping above ^^^
Cove's POV
River sped away without a single glance back. I watched the image of his car become smaller and smaller, until it faded into nothing. Great, now what?

"Cove!" A familiar voice called. I turned around to see my friends waving me over. Oh that's right, I have friends.
I smiled and skipped over to them to join their group.

"So, where's River?" Sydney asked. By the look on everyone's faces, they all have the same question.

"He had to go somewhere," I said sadly.
"Oh, well it's okay because now you can hang out with us!" Leah exclaimed while grabbing my hand and dragging me inside. I smiled at her cheerfulness and happily let her walk me to my first period.

"See you at lunch!" She smiled and walked away. I smiled back and went to my desk.

After class I went to my next one a talked about lizards with Sydney and Emma the entire time. Since it's Friday, our teacher lets us sit wherever so I sat with them.

Skip past my third period where I just sat bored the whole time, and now it's finally lunch time. I walked to the cafeteria and scanned the area for my friends. Once I spotted them sitting at a table in the far end of the room, I walked over to them.

"Hey guys," I said once I got close enough for them to hear. "Hey," they all replied simultaneously as Leah and Lizzy slid to the side, leaving a spot for me to sit in between them. I smiled and plopped down on the empty spot.

"So, how are you and River? Have you guys, you know, fu-" I cut Leah off with a playful smack to her arm.

"No we have not, and we're great," I groaned while rolling my eyes. It feels like all we ever talk about is River, not that I'm complaining. It would be nice for a change though.

Leah gave me a sheepish smile and turned to eat her food. "It's just so weird to see him with someone, especially someone like you. Not in a mean way, I just would never expect him to go for someone so, so innocent!" Lizzy rambled.

"Well I understand your guy's surprise, trust me I was surprised too when he started talking to me. But he's not what you think he is, he's actually really kind and caring. He would never hurt a fly, well for the most part" I said enthusiastically.

My friends exchanged knowing glances and shook their heads. "Cove, you've only known him for like a week. There's lots of things you don't know about him. It's not my place to tell you, but one day you'll understand." Sydney sighed.

I tilted my head in confusion, but let it go none the less. I know I've seen River beat people up, and I even heard him shoot someone, but he's just a little violent that's all. It's not like he'd kill someone, right? Right?

"Oh Cove, it's okay. Don't worry about what she said, she just being silly. I'm sure River is a great person," Leah reassured me once she noticed my confused look. I gave her a small smile and pulled out my sandwich, although I didn't miss the not-so-subtle glare she shot at Sydney.

Why are the acting so strange? I don't know, I mean they've always been pretty weird, this is just a whole new level.

I shook my head and decided to let it go. It's probably nothing, I'm probably just overthinking everything. I took another bite out of my sandwich and quickly finished the whole thing, then headed to my next class.

The rest of the day went pretty similarly with me hanging out with my friends, and now school is finally over. I walked outside and looked around the parking lot with the small hope of seeing River's car, but I soon deemed it useless. He's not here.

"Cove, over here," a voice called. I looked around and spotted Leah waving me over to her light grey Honda that she got for Christmas. Leah is a bit older than most people in sophomore year, so she already has her drivers license. I smiled and walked to her car.