Chapter 28

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is September 20, 2020. I hope you all are doing well and staying safe. I was moving furniture today and sliced my finger open on a wood shelf and OH MY GOD IT STINGS but not as bad as my period, which I'm going through currently. No matter how many times you get it, feeling blood get squeezes out of your vagooter will always feel very weird and gross. And the blood will scare the living daylights out of you and you will always worry about yourself bleeding out. It's normal.

Y/n hugs her mother and brother tightly. "Please stay safe. I love you all way too much," she whispers. 

She breaks and gives them a watery smile. Y/n walks up to Hopper. "I swear to God, don't die. I already lost someone I view as a father figure; I can't lose the other one, too." He tears up a little and hugs her. 

Y/n pulls Eleven into the hug. "I know we only met a few times, but I genuinely view you as a little sister. Losing you would be comparable to losing my sister. Be safe, El. I love you." Eleven beams brightly.

"Sister," she says.

Nancy and Y/n lock eyes. "Nancy," Y/n begins. "Don't die. Ok?"

Nancy genuinely chuckles. "Ok. I won't. As long as you don't."

They smile at each other. Y/n goes to Steve's side, who wraps an arm around her. "They'll be okay."

Everyone speeds off in their own directions, leaving Steve and Y/n with Max, Dustin, Lucas, and Mike.

\--/

Dustin stands behind Y/n and Steve, who are aggresively trying to stuff the dead Demo-Dog in her freezer. "It should fit now," he sighs.

"Is this really necessary?" Y/n groans.

"Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog," Dustin scoffs, obviously offended.

"All right, all right, all right. But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, all right?" Steve snaps.

"God. Help me out," Y/n sighs.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Get the door, man!" Steve yells.

"All right, I got the door."

Slime and mucas stick to the doors of the freezer. "Oh God," Y/n heaves.

They head back into the living room, where everyone is sitting, except Mike, who is rapidly pacing.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas groans.

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas?" Mike snaps. "That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin interjects. He's quickly met with angry glares. 

"The chief will take care of her."

"Like she needs protection," Max scoffs.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. All right?" Steve says.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench!" Mike counteracts.

"So my point is... Right, yeah, we're on the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do," Steve sighs.

"That's not entirely true," Max speaks up. Everyone looks at her. "I mean, these Demo-dogs,
they have a hive mind.  When they ran away from the bus, they were called away."

Y/n smirks. "If we get their attention... Maybe we can draw them from the lab. Clear a path to the gate."

"Yeah, and then we all die," Steve scorns.

Y/n shrugs. "That's one point of view."

"No, that's not a point of view, princess, that's a fact."

"I got it!" Mike exclaims, and leads them into the kitchen and points to a large circle, with all the tunnels leading to it. "This is where the chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnel."

Y/n nods. "This is like a hub. So you got all the tunnels feeding in here. Maybe if we set this on fire-"

"Oh, yeah? That's a no," Steve cuts her off, grabbing her and trying to pull her away.

 Maybe if we set this on fire-""Oh, yeah? That's a no," Steve cuts her off, grabbing her and trying to pull her away

"The mind flayer would call away his army," Max adds.

"They'd all come to stop us," Lucas says worringly.

"We circle back to the exit," Mike formulates.

"Guys," Steve says. 

"By the time they realize we're gone... El would be at the gate," Y/n finishes.

"Hey. Hey! Hey! This is not happening," Steve yells, shaking a dish towel at them. 

"But-" Dustin begins to protest. 

"No, no, no, no, no. No buts. I promised I'd
keep you shitheads safe, and that's exactly what I plan on. We're staying here. On the bench. And we're waiting for the starting team to do their job. Does everybody understand?"

"This isn't a stupid sports game," Mike scoffs.

"I said does everybody understand that? I need a yes."

Before anyone can answer, an engine revs from outside. Y/n's eyes widens. She'd recognize that engine sound from anywhere.

"Billy," she breathes.

HELL YEAH YALL KNOW WHATS NEXT