Chapter 68

"Miss Potts, you're a minute and twenty-seven seconds later than usual," a familiar voice greeted her as she came into her office. As soon as she heard him, her heart pounded and her lips formed into a wide smile.

"Obviously you have little work to do, Mr. Stark, when you are stalking your employees," she said in a perfectly calm voice, seemingly uninterested as she walked around the chair he was sitting in. Tony jumped to his feet and took off his glasses, which he tucked in the breast pocket of his jacket.

"Honestly, I'm just stalking you. Are you reporting me to the police?" he asked, coming closer to her. Pepper could immediately smell his cologne she loved so much.

"I'm thinking about it," she whispered, placing her hands on his shoulders.

"I really hope this helps you forget," he said, leaning in to kiss her. "Hi, Pep. We haven't seen each other in two days, and I feel like it may have been an eternity."

Pepper wondered if he had felt that way with Mary too. After all, she was his first love that made him completely changed. But she didn't dare ask him, and she didn't want to spoil the pleasant atmosphere.

"I miss you too," she nodded and smiled slightly. She stroked his cheek. "Is there anything new at home?"

"I like that you still consider it your home, even though you live somewhere else," Tony smiled. "I can't wait for you to come back." But who knows when it will be, Pepper replied in her mind. "Nothing new is happening at home. Only Peter started talking to me a little more again. He recently had one of his panic attacks. It was... strong."

"Oh my God," Pepper breathed and her eyes widened. She felt an incredible urge to run home and make sure Peter was really okay. "What happened? Is he okay? Shouldn't we-"

"Everything's fine, Pepper," Tony assured her, gently taking her by the cheeks. She looked at him and worry shone in her eyes. "We made it, he's a strong boy. There's been too much for him lately. He told me something about the fact that he felt lost and that he didn't know himself."

"I'm so stupid if I didn't leave, Peter would be fine and he wouldn't have to worry like that. I'm so sorry, Tony. I wish I could help him somehow, but I - I don't know what to do. He stopped writing to me a while ago, and I'm still hesitant about whether it would be a good idea to contact him or not. Do you think - that he still takes me as his mother?" she dared to ask in a whisper. She was incredibly afraid of the answer she would receive, and all the helplessness, Pepper's pain, and Peter's troubles tore Tony's heart.

"He still loves you, Pepper, I know that," he replied in a firm voice, and he was really convinced of that. He just knew. Peter could look and act the way he wanted, Tony knew he still cared immensely about Pepper. "And maybe it wouldn't be so bad to try to write or call him. Maybe he just needs some encouragement. An explanation to compare it all. I don't know, you should try."

"I'm just afraid he'll turn me down," Pepper sighed, sipping her coffee. "That he won't want anything to do with me anymore."

"I understand your concerns, Pepper, but that's exactly how he may feel. He still loves you. Do you think that something like this, so many years together and experiences, will disappear from minute to minute? You're his mom. He always came to see you first when he had a problem. When he needed to ask something. When we've done something behind your back, he was always thinking about you and how you're going to react. He didn't want to do anything without your knowledge. "

"Oh, Tony, I miss him so much," Pepper sobbed, falling around his neck. Tony hugged her gently.

"He misses you too," he whispered to her. "I asked him about dinner. He didn't say no."

"But he didn't say yes either."

"We can still work with that. So, honey," he lifted her head and wiped away her tears with his thumbs, then smiled and kissed her forehead, "will you call him?"

•••

"You're kind of quiet today, is everything okay?" Mary asked as she watched Peter for a moment as he dug absently into a scoop of chocolate ice cream with a spoon.

"What? Sorry, what did you say? I got lost in my thoughts," he blurted out quickly, and he fidgeted slightly. He hadn't wanted to see Mary at all for the last few days. He didn't like it. It wasn't... right. They had almost nothing to talk about anymore, only she always talked, asked him questions, and he answered her briefly. But he couldn't tell her he didn't want to see her anymore. He didn't see the point. It just didn't work.

"I asked if everything was okay."

"Yeah, I just couldn't sleep tonight," he replied, lowering his eyes to his ice cream cup again so he wouldn't have to look at her. He couldn't sleep properly for several nights. He thought of Pepper more often than ever. She was expecting a baby. And all five were supposed to go to lunch sometime. Actually six. He smiled slightly as he remembered that Pepper was carrying a new life beneath her heart. But it was all so damn complicated! Or too simple, and that's why he was so bothered? Sometimes we worry about the simplest things. He could just call her and -

He was interrupted by the ringing of the phone. He was all the more surprised to find out it was his own ringing. Did Dad need anything?

His heart sank strangely as he realized Pepper was calling him. Pepper! He looked at Mary, who was watching him curiously and gripped the phone more tightly in his hand.

"I'm sorry, I have to take this," he blurted out, getting up to get out as quickly as possible. The words came out of his lips too easily, automatically. He had to take it.

But as soon as he got out, the call ended. Peter cursed, and a mother with a small child turned to him indignantly. But he could only watch the announcement that he had missed a call from Pepper. No. From Mom.

But he couldn't find the courage to call her back. Why? Why didn't it just work? It was easy. Just find her contact, press-

There was a beep announcing that he had a new message.

Peter, I'm sorry if it doesn't suit you. I just wanted to tell you that despite everything that happened and went wrong, I still love you. I miss you so much, baby. Pepper

Peter closed his eyes. Oh, mom. Mom. Why isn't there a button to turn those harsh thoughts off?

"Damn," he growled to himself, and quickly, as if he was afraid he would change his mind, began typing a message.

I do not know what to do. I am scared. I miss you too, mom.

Send.