Chapter Fifteen

So long as Raiden can remember, he woke up in the headquarters two years ago with no memories

So long as Raiden can remember, he woke up in the headquarters two years ago with no memories. Not even his own name.

"Your name is Raiden Oliver Kara."

It was Cyrus who told him his name, the first person he met.

But Raiden didn't care. He didn't care about anything or anyone at all. He didn't even care about himself. Not even an ounce of emotions was flowing in his body. He was like an empty person.

When he received his Blessing after a week since his wake-up, he carried out missions, hunted, and destroyed Outcasts like an automaton. But he learned how to feel emotions little by little from purifying Outcasts. Their despairs are like poisons spreading through his veins and infiltrating his empty heart.

The demonic beings are the reasons he can now feel emotions that he didn't have before. Emotions he always contemplates being a blessing or a curse.

Because at this moment, his emotions are drowning him.

Raiden grabs Cyrus's collar, anger and guilt crashing through him like a storm. When he speaks, his voice is low and trembling.

"Did you just say Raia suffered more than I did? Is that . . . Is that also the consequence of using her gift? It doubles the pain?"

Cyrus maintains a neutral face while staring at Raiden's blazing eyes.

Raiden lowers his head. "Dammit, Raia." His voice is almost a whisper as a wave of guilt washes over him.

He can't take the thought of Raia going through immense pain to heal him. Isn't that a little much for Raia? They aren't even . . .

"I don't have such a thing as a friend."

Raiden clenches his teeth, frustration coursing through him. He can't pretend it doesn't hurt after Raia flat-out denied him back there. But Raia reminds him of someone he used to know, someone he thought he'd already forgotten. The way she slays demons without a trace of pity for the souls she frees evokes certain memories and emotions in Raiden. She reminds him of his past self.

A living weapon.

But when she heals, she effuses warmth and pleasure akin to morning sunlight - a promise of a brand new day and a fresh start. Raia's healing is like hope; it is warm and comforting.

She's cold and warm at the same time.

Raiden has this urge to know more about her. He wants to see more of her face than the blank and cold expression she always wears.