Chapter XXXVI

Cadence's POV

In this world nearly the entire population has an affinity and ability to use magic.

However, there are a very rare few who simply can not. With no logical explanation for this, the only thing you can really blame is rotten luck.

To put into perspective, in the entire history of the Romania Royal Family, there has not been a single child that was born without magic.

Well, I guess that isn't true anymore now that I exist though.

When you're apart of a minority group, the rest of the population tends to look down upon you.

I'm sure many people do not mean or want to, but subconsciously they'll put themselves above the other person simply because they have something the other does not.

It's the same way as how you feel inferior when faced with a person that can do something that you can't.

I guess that's just how the human mind works.

Now, the noble population is one that holds great pride in themselves for being esspecially superior in magic.

Technically speaking, I am the highest ranked and most powerful woman figure in this empire.

So for someone like me to not be able to use magic is extremely unheard of, and shameful and to the royal family.

Simply put, I am and would be considered a disgrace to society.

No matter how beautiful or smart or kind I may become- the fact that I can't use magic will forever remain as a large and dark stain.

I managed to avoid announcing my magic abilities at my birthday party, but it's not like I could've forever hidden it.

I knew the day that it was exposed would come eventually, but still no matter how many nights I spent thinking of it- I still could not figure out the right way on how to properly face it.

I suppose ignoring and forgetting about it entirely, was my own way of coping.

When I awoke from my sleep, it was already noon and I had skipped the entire middle block of my time table.

The nurse had returned and did a check up on me when he noticed I was up.

[ "Seems like everything is okay- no temperature, pain or aching anywhere?" ]

I nodded quietly in response to his question.

Not like I can confide in this complete stranger, when I can't even do so with those closest to me.

[ "In that case feel free to return to class. Oh- but before you leave, here. You slept through lunch so you should eat this. ]

On the table next to me, he places down 2 wrapped up sandwiches and a bottle of what appears to be apple juice.

[ "Two girls came to drop these off for you earlier. You should thank your friends later." ]

The nurse is about to close the curtain and leave when he suddenly remembers something.

He quickly goes off somewhere and comes back with a plate of bouncy pudding, topped with cream and fruits.

[ "I almost forgot, another boy also dropped this off for you a little after those two girls. I've got to go run some errands so take your time to eat and rest." ]

The nurse says finally, before leaving me alone to eat in this room.

I take a look at all the food prepared for me.

Honestly, I'm not really hungry but it'd feel rude to not eat it when someone specially gave it to me.

I unwrap the sandwiches and take small bites at a time.

I have no doubt that the two girls were Allycia and Claira since they are my only friends afterall, but this pudding...

For us nobles, we all eat our meals in a lunch room where food is prepared for us each day by chefs.

Usually what happens is after first period, you sign off your name to say you're here and to have lunch prepared for you.

That way the chefs aren't preparing too much or too little food for the amount of students present.

However since I ended up leaving first period half way, I never signed my name and thus I assume they never prepared my meal.

The twins must have asked the chefs to specially prepare these takeout sandwiches and juice for me.

This is easy to judge because the school would never otherwise give us food wrapped in plastic and a drink in a bottle.

Usually we eat freshly made and organic meals, on matching porcelain dinnerware.

However this plate of pudding... this familiar plate and display tells me that it comes from the lunch prepared for nobles.

And since the chefs never give extra meals to people, I can concluds this person must have taken it from their own personal lunch.

For someone to give me their dessert (which is only the highlight of the meal) is truthfully quite a kind act...

But a boy??

The only boy i'm acquainted with in this school is Eugene... but there's no way right?

For someone who looks and acts as cold as him, doesn't this seem too kind of an action for his character?

But either then him there's really no one else who could've given me this pudding...

After finishing the sandwiches and juice, I bring the plate of pudding close and pick up the small silver spoon next to it.

I take a bite and the pudding and cream combo melts in my mouth. As expected, the chefs of this academy are very skilled at their job.

The pudding is the perfect amount of sweetness and tastes absolutely delicious.

For a bit, it makes me distracted from my worries and thoughts, as I completely immerse myself in enjoying and savoring the taste.  

I make a mental note to later confront Eugene and ask whether this was his doing.

Although he is a bit intimidating, if it really was him I'd like to thank him or whoever else it may have been.

At first I thought he was quite the scary and harsh guy, but thinking that he could possibly have done something so nice makes me a lot less nervous of him.

Well this could just be my mistake, however both logically and by a hunch of mine, I have a strong feeling it really was Eugene.

Guess I'll have to find out on my own...

Chapter XXXVI End.