CHAPTER 12

Short visit to the prisons of the Woodland Realm

Legolas led Arya through several corridors to the throne room. This was the heart of Thranduil's palace, the largest and most majestic of the underground caverns, enlightened by a great number of torches and lamps, which brightened the immense columns, engraved and decorated with paintings and mosaics. In the center of the room, the King of the wood elves sat on his throne, which was also carved in wood, and raised above the floor, as if to demonstrate the pride of its owner. Thranduil was looking at the girl carefully, studying every little detail, searching for weak points to use to his advantage. Arya knew that and remained impassive under his watchful gaze.

"My son told me you speak our language."

The king asserted out of the blue, coming down from his throne and walking towards her.

"Yes, My Lord, it is true."

She confirmed with confidence.

"And why does a young woman know Sindarin? It is certainly not common the study of such a language among men."

"I am sure, My Lord, that you are aware of the large volumes of Sindarin in the library of Minas Tirith, accessible to all."

Thranduil's lips curled into a grin: that girl certainly had spunk. He took a closer look at her, still searching for something to use to his advantage, but there was no sign of uncertainty in her manner. It was then that the king noticed a glint around girl's neck. He approached her to get a better look at it. It was a chain with a pendant, a ring. Arya noticed Thranduil's interest in the base of her neck and missed a heartbeat. The king kept moving closer at a slow pace, his eyes fixed on that ring: he knew he had seen it before, he knew it was important, but why? It was a matter of a moment, an intuition, Thranduil's eyes widened and stared at the young woman.

"Tell me, what is Arathorn's daughter doing in a company of dwarves?"

He asked looking her straight in the eye, her face inches from hers.

"With all due respect, your majesty, I do not believe my business with the dwarves concerns you."

Arya answered seriously. She was angry. She was definitely angry, but more with herself than with Thranduil really, for not having hidden the ring better.

"They became of my concern me in the moment you decided to pass through my kingdom in a mad attempt to reclaim a treasure that has been lost for years!"

Thranduil said, raising his voice. The sovereign moved away from the young woman and turned his back to her.

"That treasure belongs to Thorin by birthright, it doesn't seem so crazy to me that he wants to get it back!"

Then the girl replied.

"It is going be difficult locked in my dungeons, I'm afraid. I offered Oakenshield a deal he'd better accept, but he's too stubborn and arrogant to understand. You will stay here until I decide otherwise."

The Elven King concluded firmly, before ordering his son to return the young woman to her cell.
Legolas put a hand on Arya's shoulder and pushed her forward telling her to move, she offered no resistance and, after having cast one last glance at Thranduil, began to walk. When they were far enough from the throne room they slowed their pace.

"Are you all right?"

The prince asked her, trying to keep his tone cold and detached. Arya was surprised by the question and smiled.

"I am fine, thank you."

She answered confidently.

"My father can be difficult sometimes."