Chapter 110: Serisis (2)

7th Muriel, 1093

Amidst cheers from an excited populous, the royal caravan leisurely trotted along the road, flanked on either side by terrifying, raptor-like mana beasts. These beasts, which were twice the height of a regular human, possessed robust bodies, protected by tough scales, and black bony appendages that made them a nightmare when they chose to ram into anything.

Riding these beasts were the Royal Guard in intimidating full plated armor that made it near impossible to guess the identity of the individual. If it were not for a few individuals whose racial genes were so strong that their legs retained the tell-tale incline at the knees, it would also have been impossible to guess their races.

However, neither the fanfare nor the imposing guards managed to draw King Vermillion's attention. Instead, it was captured by the oddly comfortable road on which the carriages traveled. His eyes portrayed slight interest as he marveled at the interlocking stones joined together by thinly laid dark grey materials. "So this is the asphalt I have heard so much about. Exclusive to Serisis."

To his side, Princess Chu Ming revealed a wry smile. "This one must really be lacking, for His Majesty to find more interest in pebbles and stones."

"Ah, my apologies," King Vermillion apologized with a guilty smile. "I admit I am a bit tongue-tied. Your Grace's beauty puts the heavens to shame."

"Ara, it would seem Your Majesty is well versed in flattery," Princess Ming praised with a light chuckle, her eyes sparkling with amusement. Her voice was like a timeless classic symphony, soft and unhurried, gently caressing the ears of its listeners. "I am a tad bit jealous of Rosendun's fair maidens who get to enjoy such flattery daily."

"Haha, were it only so, Your Grace," King Vermillion teased. "Alas, my chamberlain and mirror are the sole portents of my flattery."

"Oh?" Princess Ming's brow rose. "How about the fair lady you arrived with? I daresay a thousand beautiful poems wouldn't do her justice."

"Ms. Lightwood? Indeed, Your Grace is right. A thousand poems would not do her justice. On the contrary, one single word describes her in entirety."

Princess Ming's hand, which had kept waving to the crowd, faltered for a second, her eyes revealing her increased intrigue. "Oh? What word is this, pray tell?"

"Competent," King Vermillion replied with a firm grin. "She is competent to the degree it is scary. I would happily sell my entire court for her permanent services."

Princess Ming covered her mouth with a fan, but her eyes exposed her shock. "Is she that good?"

"Ah," King Vermillion affirmed. "Were it she was just good." He paused as a nostalgic memory flitted across his mind. "Do you remember Ms. Frackt?"

Princess Ming chuckled behind her fan. "I recall she spanked your bare bottom for stealing into the ladies' dressing room."

Ms. Frackt was the former Royal Nanny of the Rosendun kingdom. She was a wizened halben who had watched over the growth of the previous king and all his children. She was a scary woman who was well versed in politics, linguistics, swordplay, magic, archery.

If there were something the royal brats did not understand, Ms. Frackt would solve it. Unfortunately, she perished along with the royal family during the drakul's raid.

"Fu..." King Vermillion let out an embarrassed chuckle. "Why was that the memory you picked?"

"What can I say, it isn't every day a lady gets to witness a prince's spanking. Leaves an impression."

King Vermillion shook his head in defeat. "My embarrassing episode aside, you recall how no one cared about whether she was ugly or not. Nor did anyone mid the scar down her face. That was a result of competence that puts beauty to the back seat." His expression adopted mock fear as he gazed into Princess Ming's eyes with an exaggeratedly grave gaze and whispered. "I did not say this, but Ms. Lightwood is ten times scarier than Ms. Frackt. Do you still think I would dare flatter her?"