X. ANNOYING OLDER BROTHERS

╔══════════════════════════╗X

X. ANNOYING OLDER BROTHERS
╚══════════════════════════╝

1 January, 1978
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
The Room of Requirement

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

JAMES POTTER AND SIRIUS BLACK looked, for better or worse, livid. And to every person in the Room of Requirement, it was perfectly clear as to why: their younger siblings were together.

"Eloise," spoke James after a moment of silence in a deathly calm voice, "we need to talk."

And it was at this moment, Eloise knew she was in for it, because James never used her full name unless he was being 100% serious— no pun intended.

"Now," added Sirius firmly, glaring at his younger brother. Eloise frowned.

"Fine," she spoke, trying not to let her nervousness show. "But Remus is coming with us."

James narrowed his eyes at his younger sister for a moment before muttering a "fine" and stalking off with an equally angry Sirius Black and a nervous Remus Lupin and Eloise Potter in tow.

"So, I'm glad you two finally got together," whispered Remus as they walked out of the room, "and I would say 'I told you so', but I don't think this is a good time."

She glared at the werewolf, "You think?"

The four teenagers stopped when they were finally out in the empty corridor, and Sirius and James turned, glowering at her. Eloise suddenly regretted kissing so publicly, but it was bound to get out at some point either way . . . better to have it happen less than a minute after they become official.

"What was that? What were you thinking, Eloise? Snogging him— a Slytherin on the road to becoming a Death Eater!" snapped James. "Don't tell me you're official or—"

"As a matter of fact, we are official. This shouldn't be so surprising, really. We have been for about . . . a minute or so now? And being a Slytherin has nothing to do with anything!" said Eloise, raising her voice and balling her fists.

"Well— then— be unofficial!" shouted James angrily.

"No. No way! You're my older brother, James, not my dad. And frankly, I don't give a flying fuck if you or anyone else approves of him or not. News flash! It's my life, not yours!"

And suddenly Sirius stepped up. "Yeah, well that's my brother—"

"—Oh, so now you'll happily claim him as your brother!" the bespectacled girl snapped.

He paused to glare at her.

"—and I know what he's like," he continued. "Always trying to please dear mother and father, and we both know exactly how he'll end up because of it. And have you seen the crowd he hangs around with when you're not with him?"

Eloise was now mirroring the boys' intense glares, and Remus stood awkwardly to the side, glancing in between the two sides.

"Might I remind you that I've been his best friend for six years? Or have you forgotten that? And you can't go spouting stuff about him when you hardly even know him!" she shouted. "He hangs out with that crowd in his free time because he has to!"

"He doesn't have to do anything!"

"NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU SIRIUS!" she roared. "NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT STUPID GRYFFINDOR BRAVERY! HAVE YOU STOPPED TO THINK ABOUT THAT?!"

"Ellie, maybe you should calm down a little—" Remus murmured.

"NO!" shouted Eloise, who was going red in the face from anger. "NO YOU LISTEN! IT'S CALLED SELF PRESERVATION— HE HAS TO LIVE WITH YOUR SHITTY PARENTS AND THEIR STUPID RULES, TOO, IN CASE YOU'VE FORGOTTEN! HE HAS TO SNEAK OUT WHEN HE WANTS TO HANG OUT WITH ME ON CHRISTMAS! DID YOU KNOW THAT? HE CAN'T CONSTANTLY HANG OUT WITH ME, A BLOOD TRAITOR. I KNOW WHO HE HANGS OUT WITH! IT'S TO PROTECT HIM SO THERE AREN'T TONS OF SUSPICIONS ABOUT HIM SO HE DOESN'T GET PUNISHED! NOT EVERYONE FANCIES GETTING IN TROUBLE, SIRIUS. STANDING UP TO HORRID PEOPLE LIKE YOUR PARENTS TAKES A WHOLE LOT OF BRAVERY, SOMETHING THAT MOST FUCKING PEOPLE DON'T HAVE."

"Language—" James scolded.

"OH, FUCK LANGUAGE RIGHT NOW, JAMES! YOU— YOU TWO TRY AND ACT LIKE YOU'RE DOING GOOD FOR ME BY TRYING TO TALK ME OUT OF THIS. WELL, YOU WON'T. I WILL DATE WHO I WANT, AND IF THAT MEANS REGULUS, THEN TO HELL WITH YOUR OPINIONS, I'LL DO IT. I DON'T CARE IF YOU TWO SUPPORT ME OR NOT!"

James sighed heavily and rubbed his face. "Look— Ellie, we just don't want you to get hurt—"

"What?" she interrupted.

Sirius stared at her. "Excuse me?"

"How would you not letting us be together keep me from getting hurt? If anything, it'd be doing the opposite," she turned to her brother. "How would you like it if I told you that you weren't allowed to be with Lily? Hm?"

"That's not the same thing—" Remus winced at James' words, and Eloise immediately cut her brother off.

"How? How is it not the same thing?"

"I love Lily, Eloise—" but she cut him off once more.

"Well there you have it, James. You've just gone and proved yourself wrong. There is no difference, and if you opened up your eyes a bit more, you'd see that," said Eloise in a much quieter voice than minutes before. "Now I'm going to leave, because I'm done fighting. I've always listened to you James, and I love you," James' eyes widened slightly at this because although Eloise was an extremely warm-hearted Hufflepuff, she rarely initiated the 'I love you's', "but this time I'm not going to listen to you. Goodnight."

Eloise spared them one last glance, before turning on her heels and leaving the three Gryffindor boys standing dumbfounded in the dark corridor.