Chapter 53

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I am the soul that possessed the puppet. And now, I am free."

"Wait, another child died here?"

"Well, not here. A long time ago, there used to be a restaurant called Fazbear Diner. It was a small space with just one animatronic. Freddy. It was a happy place..."

The ghost made a puff of smoke appear in front of me. It spread and created the picture of a small restaurant.

I saw Freddy giving cake to children. Freddy looked happy. It was unusual for me.

One child stood at the doorway crying.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"That's me. I couldn't find my mother, and I got upset."

A purple car pulled up next to him. A man dressed in purple came out and stabbed the boy to death. I could see the scarlet blood and the clear tears mixing together on the pavement.

"My soul was released out of my body. I didn't know where to go. Then, I found a puppet. I possessed it, and I could never leave. But now, I can."

The boy flew across the room in happiness.

"Wait, the puppet was here for so long?"

"Yeah. They sold it because they thought children would get frightened by it. The other business that bought it didn't want it anymore, so they gave it back."

"And all that time, you were possessing it?"

He nodded his transparent head.

"But, of course, I was there when those other children died. After all, somebody had to give you life."

"What?" I asked.

"I witnessed the murder. I found you all dead. I wanted to give you your life back. You shouldn't have died so soon in life. I stuffed you into suits to give you a new soul to possess."

I didn't know what to say. Or think. I didn't even know how I felt. Then a realization broke into my empty thoughts.

"Payton."

I turned around and saw Payton still lying on the floor. She seemed lifeless.

Then, the puppet slowly started to move.