Chapter 43: Abyss

Tsunade sat her desk, her fingers laced with one another as she rested her forehead on them, a headache coming along as Anko, Sasuke, Sai, and Kakashi stood across from her, awaiting her orders. 

"The Hidden Mist, our closest ally due to the help Naruto and Sasuke provided them during their Civil War, has been burnt to the ground and all of its people murdered with no survivors." She whispered. Sasuke's eyes widened in shock at what she had just said. 

"W-What?" He asked her, not sure if he heard her correctly. 

"I said that Mist was destroyed not two days ago along with the rest of their people, well, except for two who managed to escape the wrath of the man responsible." Anko rose an eyebrow. 

"I can see why Sasuke is here, but why am I here?" She questioned.

"I have a similar question, but I think I'll wait to get my answer," Kakashi added.

"Wait," Kakashi began. "Where's Naruto?" Tsunade grimaced. 

"He wasn't home yesterday or the day before. . ." Anko trailed off. "Did he try to rescue Mist?" Tsunade was frowning visibly as she removed her hands from her face and grabbed a small scroll that had a small seal on it. 

"That's the Kazekage's Official Sealing, what does that have to do with Mist?" Sai asked. 

"The two survivors from Mist sought for refuge in the Hidden Sand and they told the Kazekage everything, including the identity of the one who destroyed the village along with the Fire Daimyo's army of samurai." 

"Wait a minute. . ." Anko trailed off before she took a step back, a gasp escaping her throat as she put her hand over her mouth, tears bubbling up in her eyes. "You're lying!" 

"No," Tsunade said somberly. "Naruto Namikaze was the leader of that army that destroyed the Hidden Mist." Sasuke's hands tightened into fists. 

"You're lying, there's no way he could've done that, there's no way!" Sasuke shouted, refusing to believe his most precious person, his master, his older brother figure as well as his father figure could do such a thing to people he loved. 

"We need to leave, Sasuke." Naruto spoke as Sasuke sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he yawned.

"Why? Isn't this a good spot for training?" Naruto's small smile disappeared and was replaced by a slightly bitter one, one of having to do something he didn't want to do. 

"If we stay in longer I'm afraid I won't be able to go back to the Leaf." Sasuke's eyes widened momentarily before speaking.

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean that if I stay here any longer than there will only be further pain in the future. I love this village almost just as much as the Leaf, and if I stay any longer I'll question where my true loyalties lie. The pressure is just a tad bit too much, ya know?" 

"I can't believe it, I won't!" Sasuke growled as he stormed off, ignoring Tsunade's orders. He would find Naruto and get answers out of the blonde himself. Anko looked back at Sasuke and back at the Hokage and quickly bowed.

"I need to talk to him and I need to find Naruto. I refuse to believe he would do such a thing after going through so much with them." She quickly ran out of the Hokage's Office, leaving Sai, Kakashi, and Tsunade alone.

"You both believe me." Tsunade said, not questioning but rather stating. Sai nodded.

"My father changed since Sakura's death. He's been fighting some inner demons for the last week and to snap suddenly isn't out of character for him. Though I've heard the stories about him and Mist, they wanted to make him Mizukage so it is hard to believe." Sai said in a confused tone.