Chapter 59

It's been a while....

*****************

My hand immediately lowered to the pistol in the depth of my coat's large pocket, and I backed towards the car as the warriors moved to stand before Helda and myself, bodies tense and eyes wide with alertness.

I could see Skylar leaning against the railing of her porch, arms lifting to fold across her chest as she watched the advancement of the lycans.

"I recognize you." A male lycan pointed a finger at Henri as he spoke, a sly smile lifting his lips and eyes glittering dangerously. The male was Jeremiah's height, which was fairly tall, and his body was lean and well muscled. His blond hair was slicked back and seemed to gleam under the afternoon sun.

"You're from that Wildeland pack," The blond-haired lycan paused a few feet away from the warriors, and he rested a hand against his hip, cocked his head. "You were in a meeting with an Alpha, Hannes I believe, a year ago."

Henri said nothing, and tension cracked in the air. My lower back grazed the boot of the vehicle, and I felt Helda's shoulder brush my own as she shuffled to stand beside me. My heart pounded in my chest rapidly, mouth becoming dry and eyes fixated on the lycans, who had yet to lose that familiar, skin-crawling glare.

"Who are those two humans with you?" It was a female lycan who asked this. Her head tilted as she attempted to see past the warriors, and I listened, tight-lipped when Willow demanded lowly,

"Get in the car, girls."

I began to move along the car, hands feeling around for the door, but I jerked to a stop at the sharp growls that erupted.

"Don't you fucking dare," Jeremiah's hand was around the throat of a male lycan, whose face was rapidly beginning to pale. Jeremiah's dark eyes travelled over the other lycans around us. "If any of you touch her, I will rip you to shreds."

I released a sharp breath at his snarled words, continuing to slide along the car, Helda close behind. My fingers wrapped around the handle of the car, and I began to open it, but shrieked when the door was pushed closed harshly, the dark window of it seeming to tremble.

Claws scratched the side of my neck but the lycan who'd begun to attack me was hauled away by Elle. I felt blood beginning to drip down my skin, and my fingers shook as I opened the door, feeling Helda push me roughly as I got inside the car.

She slammed and locked the door behind us and I watched in horror and surprise as Jeremiah did exactly as he'd promised; rip the lycan to shreds.

Claws painfully and quickly raked through the attacker's body repeatedly. Flesh and skin was pulled and torn. Massive amounts of blood from the attacker was spilled and his clothes were becoming dark with his blood.

The lycan's growls of aggression morphed into shrill yelps of pain, and Jeremiah didn't stop until parts of the body of the lycan was on the ground. I gagged at the sight of some of the flesh, pieces of body and skin littering the road; the male's head was severed from his body and rested a few feet away from the car.

I could hear Helda sobbing behind me, and I made out the words of the strange lycans outside, who demanded to know why the warriors were choosing to defend humans, and why Jeremiah had killed a fellow lycan. Words of how the life of the dead male had been worth more than Helda and myself was also spat.