Chapter 38

I come home crying.

Immediately, I head straight for my room and bury my face in my pillow, determined to let it out now and not cry again until he leaves. I'm midway through my "sadboi" playlist when the door to my door creaks open.

My mom stands by my door.

"Why are you crying?" she asks tonelessly. I turn to face my wall.

"It's nothing," I reply shortly. Holding in my sniffles, I wait for her to leave but she doesn't.

Her voice is scornful when she starts. "It's that boy, isn't it? What did he do? Cheat? I told you not to-"

"He's leaving!" I shout. "Is that what you wanted to hear? He's moving away!"

She crosses her arms. "I don't see why you're getting so emotional about a high school-"

"I love him, mom," I interrupt and pull the covers over my head. "I don't need this right now. Please leave."

I hear her footsteps start then stop. "I saw you're still applying to UPenn early. I'm surprised you haven't thrown that away too."

I grip my teddy bear tighter.

"That's what you wanted, isn't it?" I respond.

"I wanted what's best for you," she answers without missing a beat. "It's too bad you never saw that."

I don't respond and she doesn't wait for me to. She closes the door on her way out.

The first of many endings.

A/N: Alright. This is the last chapter for today. On Friday, I will be posting the last three chapters and ending this book. I'm seriously getting emotional rn but as always, thank you for the reads, votes, comments... They mean so much to me. Stay safe <3