Chapter 6 - A Terrible First Impression

I spent a while on the phone to Cass and the boys, each fighting over the chance to talk for five minutes

I spent a while on the phone to Cass and the boys, each fighting over the chance to talk for five minutes. I had only been gone for the better part of a day and they're all assuring me the house is a lot quieter without my random bursts of growling bouncing off the walls which they've become accustomed to apparently.

"I've got to go, I've got about twenty minutes until my meeting and I have no idea where I'm going. I'll call you all later?" I had the phone on speaker as I slid on my sneakers and tightened my high pony.

"Okay sweetie, good luck!" Cass replied and I could practically hear her beautiful smile through the phone.

"Don't kill anyone!"

"Trent!"

"I mean - keep damage to a minimum!"

"Bye guys, love you all." I hung up the phone and slid it into my duffel bag before slinging it onto my shoulder and leaving the room - remembering at the last second to take my new bundle of keys with me.

I followed the way we came up as I made my way down the stairs and out of the pack house. The first thing I saw was a group of women, each with a smile across their face. The minute they saw me they seemed to throw up some kind of guard as they brought their pups closer to their bodies.

I tried not to take offence, it's a wolf's first instinct to protect their young. The sight and scent of an unknown wolf on their land is bound to set them on edge. So I tried to reassure them that I didn't mean any harm by sending them a small wave and a quick quirk of my lips into a smile before putting my head back down and walking along the path Dennie had told me about.

The Leader's Office was pretty easy to find. It wasn't signposted but it's basically a straight line from the house so I was ringing the doorbell not even five minutes after I'd left the pack house.

"Hello?" A sweet yet professional voice rang through the speakers after a moment or so of it ringing.

"Hi, my names Reyna Michaels. I'm the-"

"The new transfer! Yes, please do come in, I'll buzz you through!" She sounded cheery as I heard the locks click as the woman allowed the doors to open. I gripped the handle and opened the huge wooden door the rest of the way, stepping into the entranceway apprehensively.

A red headed woman was sat behind a modern looking desk, a large monitor in front of her as she scribbled in a binder that had cascading tabs. The desk was immaculate, every pen seemed to be precisely placed and in colour order. Her makeup matched the look of the desk as she too looked perfectly put together.

Once again I scented the same cherry that had littered the entire pack, it was a calming smell but my nose didn't like the change of intensity it caught every time I entered a new room.

"Miss Michaels, so lovely to meet you!" She stood from her comfy looking chair and extended a hand which I shook kindly. "I'm Daisy, the secretary here at the Leader's Office. Beta Jackson actually finished up his Skype meeting early so feel free to just go right in."