Chapter 42

We're on approach to the Palace on Majah Prime and we're both quiet, since the mood is somber. I never thought that coming back would feel this difficult to accept, but we have to return to reality and our life of separation. The blissful month we enjoyed was like a dream that has come to an end. "Jahní, you alright up there?"

"Yes." She stays silent for a couple of minute maybe thinking of a way to extend the time we had. "No, I'm not alright." I hear the sadness in her voice and it's heart breaking. "I want to live that way always with you, but here... here is like a prison for me, to be separated from you."

"I know I feel the same." I wish that it didn't have to be this way, we have to be strong and show them that we can handle the strain. I close my eyes and bow my head just resting my mind, because I'm thinking to much again. I see the lights of the palace in the distance and that sinking feeling comes in. "I love you Jahní."

I feel her emotions rise and she seems to calm down, as we reach the palace pad. "I love you Ant." We touch down and she winds down the engines popping the canopy we unstrap climbing out of the fighter, and the King is there with Lahí.

We approach the King and I notice that Lahí has her eyes cast down. Ok, something went down while we were away. "Welcome back Captain, Jahlahín. Unfortunately we must have a conversation before you retire." He glances at Lahí, and that sinking feeling I had before just turned into the Titanic.

We step into the palace, were we are escorted to a room so we my change out from the flight armor, to some cloths that have been provided for us. The only difference now is that there is no curtain separating us. I smile at her, as we put on the clothing and she playfully turns around pretending shyness, so I playfully slap her butt.

 She turns around seeing the big smile on my face and she realizes that it was playful, so she returns the favor while I was putting on my shirt. "Hey you know there's always payback later." She smiles deviously. We only have a few moments, so we hurry up to get out to meet with the King.

Heading across the palace we reach the Kings office, and I knock on the door. "Enter." We walk in  and Hal is there with Lahí sitting opposite of him. He doesn't look very happy, so I think I know what is going on here. "Captain, It seems that somethings have been happening that I was not expecting." He stands up and by the stiff manner of his body I know that he is angry. "How is it that both my daughters have given themselves to off worlders?"

Jahní and I both look at each other, since we are guilty as charged. Hal sits there with his arms crossed and not seeming concerned at all, he's seen to much crap in his life to be upset easily. "Well, I'm sure they can provide the answers you require because I can't give you one." The King shoots me a murderous look, but remains silent.

"Lahí, did you really pledge with the Gunny?" She doesn't know, oh boy. This might become a bad scene.

Lanhí looks at the Gunny with pleading eyes and he smiles at her and just that small gesture seems to give her courage, as she returns the smile. "Yes, I did pledge myself to him! I love him and I will not be bullied or forced into anything!" She says that more to the King than to Jahní.

The Kings anger rises and he lashes out by slapping Lahí. Hal gets up right in the Kings face; the King reaches for his sword, but Lahí grabs his hand crying out! Jahní intercedes between the King and Hal, and I grab him pulling Hal away from the King!

"Your Majesty, perhaps we can come to some agreement that does not have to lead to violence!" It takes everything I have to hold Hal back.

The King calms down looking at me. "What do you propose Captain?" His voice is harsh and cold. "This is intolerable for me that both my daughters have chosen those who are not of there own people!"