twenty-nine

I clasped my hand over my mouth to repress my scream as I watched Dumbledore fall off the edge

I clasped my hand over my mouth to repress my scream as I watched Dumbledore fall off the edge. So Snape was a Death Eater. I did not see that coming.

Suddenly, someone had grabbed me by the collar and was hoisting me up. I looked around quickly and saw that it was Bellatrix Lestrange.

The woman who had killed my mother.

She was a few inches taller than me. Her long black hair was curly and extremely frizzy. She had a sharp jawline that was clenched.

"Who are you?" she snapped at me.

"I—"

"Bellatrix, we need to go!" Greyback hissed. "Come on!"

I looked over, and Draco was staring at me, his eyes wide. He looked extremely distraught.

"No, I want to know who the hell this is and why she was watching us!" Bellatrix sneered at him before turning back to me. "You look, what, 17?"

I nodded. "I was up here, and then—"

Snape spoke up this time. "Let her go, Bellatrix. We need to get out of here."

"You look familiar," she said, ignoring them. "What's your name?"

I swallowed, shaking with fear. "Evangeline."

Bellatrix furrowed her eyebrows. "What's your last name?"

I couldn't tell her my last name, because she would surely recognize it. I stared at her, my mouth open. "I— er—"

"Bellatrix!" Snape snapped. "Come on!"

Snape grabbed Draco by the scruff of the neck and shoved him out of the door. The rest of the Death Eaters followed. Bellatrix hastily dropped me and followed after them.

I hit the floor and watched as they all hurried out of the Astronomy Tower. Suddenly, from the corner, I saw the figure of Harry Potter. He had thrown some sort of cloak on the ground and emerged.

"Harry?" I gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"I came with Dumbledore," he panted and grabbed my hand, hoisting me off of the floor. "Come on, we have to go, hurry!"

Harry didn't know that I had come here with Draco. He didn't know that I knew Dumbledore would be dying tonight. I felt awful following him and acting clueless, but it was what I had to do.

I followed him out of the Astronomy Tower, where the Death Eaters were disappearing down the corridor.

Greyback was among them, and when he looked back and saw Harry, he immediately started running toward him. He jumped on top of him and started to claw at him.

"Petrificus Totalus!" I screamed, pointing my wand at him.

Greyback went limp on top of Harry. I helped Harry push Greyback off of him, which took a lot of effort since he was about three hundred pounds.