Chapter 65: Second Chance

A/N: Song recommendation for this chapter: Take Me Home by Bebe Rexha. If you want to feel all sorts of emotions, read this chapter while listening to the song. I linked it above! Enjoy ;)

Chapter 65:

Mizuki stared anxiously at the door in front of her.

She didn't know what had possessed her to fly all the way back to Japan after Mateo proposed to her at the beach just two days ago. Everything that happened afterwards was a hazy blur, and she found herself buying a ticket back to her home country with one clear purpose:

To find out the truth.

Mizuki took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Her heart was pounding furiously, and although she tried to calm herself down by thinking about her happiest memories, it didn't work.

After all, her happiest memories were with Kei.

Yamaguchi opened the door frantically, as if he had been expecting someone else to be in front of him.

"Tsu- Toma-san?!" His mouth hung open in disbelief, "What are you doing here?!"

"Yamaguchi," Mizuki murmured breathlessly, "I know that you weren't expecting me but-"

"Wait! Hold on...What is going on?!" Yamaguchi bit his fingernails apprehensively.

"What do you mean? Is everything okay?" She asked worriedly, "Is Kei here?"

"Is that Kei?" A voice from inside their apartment exclaimed.

Hayashi came sprinting from the kitchen and her hopeful expression turned to shock when she saw Mizuki standing by the doorway.

"Hayashi..." Mizuki greeted warmly, "Hey..."

"Toma..." Hayashi bit her lip, "What are you doing here?"

"W-well..." She stammered, staring down on her feet, "I... Um..."

Mizuki didn't quite know how to explain to Hayashi that she was there to talk to Kei and confirm what Iwaizumi had boldly stated about him two days ago. Yamaguchi urged her to come in and they quickly recapped what had happened with Kei.

"Kei's missing?" Mizuki exclaimed exasperatedly, "What... Are you sure?"

"I woke up yesterday and he wasn't here," Yamaguchi explained, clearly troubled by his best friend's sudden disappearance, "I thought that maybe he was at Hayashi-san's but he wasn't answering my calls or texts so I got really worried... I called Akiteru-san and he has no clue where he went either..."

"Kei wouldn't just disappear..." Hayashi shook her head solemnly, "There has to be an explanation."

Mizuki couldn't believe what she was hearing. If something had happened to Kei, she wouldn't be able to keep sane. If he really was gone...

"Suzuki-san did have a theory..." Yamaguchi avoided their inquisitive gazes, "But it's probably not what happened..."

"Rina?" Mizuki asked softly, "What was her theory?"

Yamaguchi cleared his throat and faced Mizuki, "When you were in Argentina... Hinata was video-calling us and well, we saw and heard what happened between you and Eiji-san..."

"Oh..."

"Tsukki... also heard." He revealed faintly.

"What happened?" Hayashi asked slowly.

Mizuki pursed her lips together anxiously as her stomach churned. She didn't even care about finding out the truth now - all she wanted was for him to be safe.