Chapter 66: For Him

Chapter 66:

5 months later, early August

"Then, I spiked the volleyball accidentally on her face!" Mizuki shook her head, mortified, "It was so humiliating! I felt horrible!"

"Well, did she lose any teeth?" Kei smirked playfully.

"No!" She answered quickly, "Her nose was bleeding after though!"

"Are you sure you didn't do it on purpose?" He teased, "She is going to be the next captain after you graduate."

"What?!" She frowned, "Of course not! I told you it was an accident!"

"Tch... Mizuki, I know you love volleyball but this is a bit much..." Kei sighed exaggeratedly, "You've become a monster..."

"Kei, have you listened to a word I've said?" She huffed irritatedly, "It was an accident!"

"Sure... That's what they all say..." He crossed his arms.

"I swear," Mizuki's eye twitched in annoyance, "If I was there right now, I would strangle you."

Currently, Mizuki was in Brazil whilst Kei was in Japan. They were video-chatting to catch up on what they had missed in each other's lives. They tried their best to call each other every other day, as they promised that they would be by each other's side, even if it wasn't literally. Additionally, many of their friends asked if they were dating again and they had to clarify that they weren't.

They were just friends.

"So, um..." Mizuki bit her lip apprehensively, "I have to tell you something."

"What?"

"After graduation, I got offers from some Brazil and Argentina teams to join them for volleyball..." She murmured anxiously.

"Oh..." He replied, the subtle disappointment in his voice evident, "I see."

"If I accept their offers, I might not come back to Japan for a while." She stated softly.

Kei leaned back against his chair and unexpectedly smiled, causing her to blink in confusion.

"Mizuki, you're going to shine so brightly on whatever team you pick, I'm sure of it." He declared, his eyes gleaming with candor.

"You don't want me to come back to Japan?" She asked disappointedly.

"Of course I do," He murmured tenderly, "But, I also love watching you succeed as you climb your way to the top."

Mizuki smiled, wondering how she got so lucky to have such a supportive best friend.

"Besides, I think if I stood in the way of that, your dad might smite me." He added.

"You're right!" She laughed softly.

"In all seriousness, that's amazing," Kei smiled affectionately, "Have you decided which team you're going to join?"

"Hm... Not yet," She pursed her lips together thoughtfully, "Oikawa-san really wants me to join a team in Argentina though."

"Like I said, whatever team you choose, they'd be lucky to have you." He declared casually.

"Thank you, Kei." She smiled.

Mizuki remembered his decision to let her go three years ago. It seemed then like her world was crumbling down but after time passed, she knew that deep down, it was the right decision. Kei wasn't selfish - he always thought about her and her well-being. Now, it was her turn.