Chapter 68: Call It Even

Chapter 68:

One Year Later

A lot can happen in a year.

Kei and Mizuki knew that.

Despite the numerous and unexpected changes, there was one thing in their lives that remained constant and almost seemingly permanent.

Their love for one another.

Since Mizuki's return to Japan, she joined the S.C. Tokyo Panthers - a Women's Division 1 V. League team - as a wing spiker, just like her father was. Kojima Sara joined the Panthers as well. They were sponsored by Suzuki Cars Incorporation, courtesy of Mina, who advocated for her friend's team. Surprisingly, Rina did not follow Mizuki's decision to join the Tokyo Panthers even though she was offered a position as a libero. She remained with her current team, the Light Pharmaceutical Red Rabbits, with Tanaka's childhood friend, Kanoka Amanai.

As for Kei, after his college graduation, he continued working at Sendai City Museum as a part-time museum curator. He was in charge of taking care of various artwork, collections, and antique artifacts displayed there. Additionally, he remained a part of the Sendai Frogs - a Men's Division 2 V. League team with Kogane from Date Tech and Kyotani from Aoba Johsai.

Kei and Mizuki were often separated by distance and other circumstances, however, they didn't let that stop them from building a life together. The two rented an apartment in Miyagi and Tokyo, and they took turns on who would visit who at particular times. Their apartments were small, and there wasn't a lot of space, but they made it work. Kei decided to bring Ren, his cat, to live in Tokyo, as he didn't want Mizuki to feel lonely whenever she was by herself in their apartment.

When Mizuki didn't have a match to play or practice to attend, they would travel to different cities all over the world. In the past year, the two had visited and stayed in Los Angeles, Paris, and Bangkok. They plan to visit more places in the future. Brazil was apparently out of the question for Mizuki, as she didn't want to risk bumping into Mateo, who she claimed she would "kick into oblivion" if she ever saw him again.

Currently, Kei was in Tokyo with Yamaguchi and Mina (and a few familiar faces) as they were about to watch the much-anticipated match between the Panthers and the Rabbits. Mizuki was about to face her best friend and old teammate, Suzuki Rina, for the first time in an official match. He booked this day off work months ago - he wasn't going to miss his girlfriend obliterating Rina's team.

"Hey, Kageyama! Over here!" Yamaguchi excitedly waved to Kageyama who spotted them instantly.

He made his way to them as Hinata and Bokuto followed. The MSBY Jackals had practice in the arena right after the match so they decided to watch and support their friends.

"Hey, hey, hey! Tsukki!" Bokuto guffawed, plopping down on the empty seat beside him, "Long time no see!"

"Hello, Bokuto-san," Kei greeted politely, "Where's Akaashi-san?"

"He's at home editing something for his job right now," Bokuto pouted, "He can't watch the match because he has a crazy deadline tomorrow!"

"That's too bad..." Kei nodded.

"Hey, which team do you think is going to win?" Hinata asked giddily.

"Obviously Mizuki's." Kei stated casually.

"Obviously Rina's." Kageyama declared at the same time.

Kei and Kageyama stared at one another questioningly, clearly irritated by each other's statements.