Chapter 6- A new friend.

After dinner which was completely devoid of any form of conversation apart from the occasional whispers between Hume and Mallam Riku, I headed to my house with Remi following behind me.

She had excused herself during dinner to put her son to sleep and now she was coming to  my house with me to tell me all about this place.

We entered the house and she immediately took a seat on one of the couches.

"So Amadea, the first thing you need to know is that you should do your best to be on Hume's good side, which should be easy enough since she keeps to herself anyway."

"Why? What would happen if I don't?"

"Well, all I know is that Mallam really seems to love her. She can help you get in his good books or make him completely detest you. Apart from giving him a male child, she's the only other factor that determines how your stay in this house would be."

"Hmmmm. Okay then. Don't get on Hume's bad side. Got it. But do you know why Mallam seems to love her so much?"

"There have been rumours that the year he picked her, his business took a downward turn and although she was just fifteen at the time, she was the one who gave him ideas and strategies that helped boost his business. She even helped him detect the traitors and fraudsters among his workers".

"So he basically owes her his success".

"Pretty much. I heard that if she had not refused to try for a child until she was twenty five, he wouldn't have picked anyone else.
He picked Mimi and Mina when Hume was about twenty.
She's thirty now and they still haven't been able to get pregnant. And for some reason Hume seems to hate Mimi. She's always hostile towards her and nobody seems to know why but it definitely puts Mimi in Mallam's black book."

"Ok then. I'll try not to offend Hume. What else do I need to know?"

"Umm.....Like I said earlier we don't eat dinner together every day but we do have a chart to show who cooks on what day for Mallam.

Hume of course makes the chart and she always makes Mimi cook on the days we eat together or the days that Mallam gets visitors.

So Mimi is always stressed. No surprise there."

"Ok. So Mimi cooked the food we ate today , all of it?,alone?"

"Yes,she did. Although Mina and I helped a bit."

"Ok then. What else do I need to know?".

"Well that's basically all. Just keep your house and it's surroundings clean. Stay out of trouble and cook on the days you are to cook. Oh and try to get pregnant as soon as possible."

"Okay. Thank you. But who cleans Mallam's house?"

"Oh. He has helpers that do that because he doesn't want us in his house at all."

"Ok Remi. Thank you so much. But if you don't mind my asking, how old are you?"

"I'm eighteen. Why?"

"It's nothing. I was just wondering."

Ok. So she had Baki when she was fifteen. Ok then.

"Well, Dea. Is it okay to call you that?"

"Sure why not. We are friends right?"

"Of course we are. I have to get going now. Baki would have a fit if he wakes up and I'm not there."

"Oh. Good night Remi."

" Good night Dea. Everything would be fine. Don't worry."

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
Hi. It's me. The Author.  Please 🥺🥺 vote and comment. It means a lot.🥰🥰🥰🥰