Chapter 7- The favourite wife

THIRD PERSON'S POV

It had been three years since Amadea became Mallam Riku's wife. Three eventful years.

She was now fifteen years old.

Two more girls had been picked as wives by the potbellied old man making the total number of wives he had seven.

Amadea had unfortunately not been able to give him a child, not even a girl and it made her a laughing stock among his wives.

Worse,Mallam Riku absolutely hated her, the fact that Hume was practically her mother at this point wasn't enough to reduce the amount of hatred he had for her.

Now Mina and Mimi were both mothers. Mina had given birth to a set of twins,two boys and Mallam Riku was absolutely overjoyed.
This had earned her his favour. One could even go as far as saying she was his favourite right after Hume.

Her twin had given birth to a girl and although she was no longer deemed barren, she hadn't really gained favour in Mallam's sight,yet she was considered better than Amadea.

The new wives,girls of fifteen, were both mothers to two adorable boys although one of them (one of the wives), Seri had a disease that no one could name yet was very common among the girls of Mhilia that had to become mothers prematurely.

She couldn't hold her urine which caused her to emit a very nasty odor and therefore caused her to live in isolation.

The villagers believed this strange disease was as a result of the unfaithfulness or defiance of the girls. They believed that the disease was a punishment for the girls who refused to be submissive to their husbands.

So Seri was shunned by everyone, well apart from Remi—the girl could befriend a wall if she thought it was lonely.
She was always there for Seri and anyone else who needed help. 

She took care of Seri's son and helped Seri Clean and cook. She was an Angel.

Of course this was before she passed away.

Remi had a very complicated delivery and she ended up dieing during childbirth.

Unfortunately, the child didn't make it past a few hours after her birth .

Due to the whacked beliefs of the people of Mhilia, Remi and her daughter couldn't even get a proper burial—they were thrown in the forest to be eaten by wild animals.

They believed that Remi must have offended their gods or that the child she had was born out of an affair and they believed that if she was buried, they would incur the wrath of their gods.

Remi's death was painful for everyone in Riku's household.
Even the standoffish Mina was seen mourning.

Amadea in particular couldn't believe that that her friend and confidant was gone.

Sure, she had Hume but nobody could replace Remi.

Amadea decided to take care of Baki but it wasn't the same as having her own child.

But it had been a year since Remi's death and Amadea was finally coming to terms with it.

She was also getting desperate to have a child but she didn't want to do what Hume had advised her to do.

She could still recall the conversation she had with Hume about a month ago.

Hume had called her to her house and as  soon as she was seated in Hume's living room which (as she had noticed anytime she came to her house) was more beautifully furnished and designed than all the other houses owned by the other wives.

Perks of being Mallam Riku's favourite.

"Amadea, I know Remi's death affected you. We were all affected dear, but you have to stop moping around and go and do something about your lack of a child."

" I know that ma but I can't help but wonder if Remi actually had an affair with another man. It doesn't seem like her but everyone seems to think so."

Humi chuckled lowly and said " I'm pretty sure that Remi and Mimi" she said scowling when she said Mimi's name
"are the only ones who have been faithful to that Old dog."

"What?!!!"
Amadea who was so surprised to hear Hume who always seemed to dote on Riku say such a thing.
"D–Does this mean that you're having an affair ?".

"Yes. I am. And so are Mina and Demi.
Seri got her child through an affair too."

" Is Mallam at least the father of your children?"

"No. He's not. But he'll never know that. All he wants is children. Children at all costs. Children to work on his farm and carry on his name.
Besides, the father of my children doesn't want them. He won't ever come here to claim them. So I'm good.

Now I'm going to advise you to same way I've advised everyone else.
Get yourself a lover and you'll finally be able to get pregnant."

"You've told everyone else what you just told me?".

"Yes. I have. Why do you think I hate Mimi so much? She rejected my advice and tried to tell Riku but of course, he's always going to take my word over everyone else's.

Remi refused too but she didn't try to take my place or anything like that.
Besides, she was too kind for me to hate.

So......Dea, what do you think? I can introduce you to someone if you want."

Amadea cringed at the use of the nickname.

Remi used to call her that.

"Please let me think about this. This is a lot of information to process. But I don't think I'll be able to do it."

"Ok then. Whatever you choose I'll be here."

That night, Amadea couldn't stop thinking about what Hume told her and she wasn't happy that Remi hid this information from her.

Before she let sleep consume her, she decided that she won't take Hume's advice.

She wasn't that kind of person.

The next morning, she had to go to the farm with the children while the other wives stayed at home lazing around simply because she had no child.

It was of course Mallam Riku's instruction.

After a particularly long day under the blazing sun, Amadea returned home with the children carrying the largest and heaviest basket of farm produce.

She wanted to ease the burden of the children.

When it was time for the produce to be shared by Mallam Riku as was the norm after every harvest, Amadea was given nothing which just made Mallam's wives laugh at her.

Mallam Riku said she had no use for food anyway, after all she wasn't nursing a child.

Hume glanced at her and gave her a sympathetic smile.

She decided that if Mallam Riku wanted a child she would give him a child.

She was ready to do as Hume said.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
Hi. It's me again. I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and comment.🥰🥰🥰🥰