Chapter 29 - House-elves and Weasleys

As much as Asha loved Hogwarts Castle, it was a welcome relief to escape into the limbo of the Forbidden Forest, where time seemed to stop and the usual worries of life suddenly appeared insignificant. She took a seat on the boulder and propped an arm on her knee. Taking out her wand, she twirled it absentmindedly between her fingers, listening to the rustling of small nocturnal creatures and the gentle bubbling of the nearby stream.

After a while, she glanced up at Snape. He was leaning against a tree, arms folded, gazing off in the direction of the lake. Asha experienced a strong desire to stay in this moment forever; sitting in the peaceful darkness... not quite alone.

As if the man had read her mind, Snape muttered, "You should go to bed."

"I slept all day," stated Asha, as if that settled the matter. Snape raised an eyebrow at her.

"I thought you said you spent all weekend completing overdue assignments."

"I didn't say that," Asha pointed out, "I said I caught up on all the schoolwork I missed." She slipped her wand back into her coat. "I finished at eight o'clock this morning - well, yesterday morning technically."

The Potions Master returned his gaze to the tree line, looking thoroughly indifferent.

"It was actually the best sleep I've had in years," Asha admitted.

"I'm not surprised," Severus replied icily. Bloody Dumbledore and that disgusting magic of his. After a few more moments of silence, he ventured to ask, "How are you feeling?"

Upon hearing his words, Asha immediately shot Snape a sceptical look but the man continued to look nothing but serious. All she offered him was a shrug, hoping he would respect her clear indication that she was not interested in discussing the topic.

"You haven't attended a meal in days," Severus droned. He was irked by her lack of response, as if refusing to open up was a stance reserved only for himself.

"Keeping track are you?" Asha replied darkly. "Food hasn't exactly been at the top of my priority list lately."

"In that case, it might be prudent for you to learn that food is, in fact, necessary for survival."

Asha ignored him.

Snape sighed in frustration.

"Come with me," he ordered in a resigned voice, straightening up and walking back towards the exposed lakeshore. She reluctantly followed him. His pace was slower than usual, allowing her to catch up and walk comfortably beside him.

Severus led the way back into the castle. When he took a left turn down the stairs that led to the basement, Asha came to an abrupt halt.

"Oh, hell no!" she objected, "you are not just going to drop me off at the common room like last time. There's no way I'm letting that happen again."

"That's not where we're going," Severus drawled irritably, not breaking his pace. He heard the whisper of Asha's footsteps resume behind him, but now at a calculated distance.

Asha watched as Snape stopped in front of the large painting of a fruit bowl that hung near the entrance to the Hufflepuff common room. This instantly sparked her interest - a secret passage?

Severus glanced at Asha to check she was watching. She was surveying him with a keen glint in her eye - a sight that almost made him roll his eyes - of course now she was interested.

Asha was caught totally off guard by the bizarre sight of Snape raising his hand and tickling the painted pear. She didn't bother to stop the wide smile that was spreading across her face. The pear giggled and transformed into a green door handle. Snape took told of it a pulled the painting open. He made to beckon Asha inside but when he was met with her mocking amusement and raised eyebrows he shot her a withering look. She had the courtesy to at least close her mouth, but she didn't attempt to wipe the smug look off her face as she stepped past him into the passage.