CHAPTER XVII

I should've stayed at home

'Cause right now I see all these people that love me

But I still feel alone

SAPPHIRE

It took me three days to finally find my way home. The journey was more or less pleasant. The forests weren't dense and the path passed through some human towns, so I didn't have any issues with food. The suppression was completely broken, but somehow, the cult still hadn't sensed me. Maybe they had stopped trying. After more than a month, what could I expect.

My travelling days were slowly coming to an end. The familiar path to home was finally visible. The night was silent and peaceful. My mind wandered to my experience of the past few weeks. I didn't want to think about it. I just wanted to forget all that and continue my life forward. But the Alpha crossed my mind then and now. The truth was, he was in my heart. His charm did work on me. Every step I took away from him hurt. I wanted to go back and hurl myself into his arms.

I sighed. It wasn't possible. Even if I went back he would never accept me, after such a betrayal of trust. I didn't deserve his love. His love was pure and unconditional. While mine came from trickery and deception. I didn't know why I loved him. But suddenly I just did. It was a part of me.

I kept walking towards the known sentry house silhouetted against the horizon. But instead of taking the regular main path, I ducked into the forest. I didn't need to gawked upon by a hundred people. I only craved the company of few.

I crawled into the low hanging canopy and proceeded towards the clump of rocks that lay ahead. I touched the rocks with my thumb and traced a complicated pattern.

"Senacious revalare." I muttered the arcane words for 'open the door'.

Slowly, very slowly, the mossy rocks slid apart. I hadn't used this entrance in a long time. I slipped into the newly formed crevice. The rocks slid shut behind me. Magical lights came into action and lit up the small dingy room.

A small table with a few chairs around it stood in one corner. A long couch took up most of the space. The fire place was damp and dark. A few books were scattered here and there. The paint was yellow and peeling. The furniture was dusty. Nobody had been here in a long time. It might not have looked impressive, but it was my favorite place in the whole wide world.

I picked off a framed photo that hung on the wall. I looked so happy and innocent in that one, with my friends' arms around me. Nothing like the twisted bitch I was today.

I sighed happily, as I looked into Fred's and Anna's happy faces. I stood in the middle, smiling along with them. I was 16, it was the day we graduated. I put it back on the wall. This was the first time I actually felt the happiness of being back home.

Then, I proceeded to do what I had been meaning to. I moved to the corner of the room and pressed my palm against the brick that stood out against the others. For a minute, I felt a warm, tingly feeling in my arm, before I heard hurried footsteps and the door flew open with a bang.

Anna stood there. Her expression was pure shock.

"Hey?" I said stupidly.

She approached me slowly as if, she was moon walking. Her mouth was still ajar.

"Are you real?" she whispered, lingering at a distance like she was afraid I would evaporate if she came near.

I reached out and pinched her cheek.

"I am." I confirmed.

Her expression changed from 'deer in the headlight' to 'volcanic eruption level' so quickly, I had no time to duck.